All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam Latest News And Live Updates
A week after a very public power tussle erupted between Lt. Governor Najeeb Jung and the AAP government in Delhi over posting and transfer of senior officers, the home ministry clarified that the former could exercise powers on issues of public order and services. “The state legislative assembly shall have power to make laws for the whole or a part of National Capital Territory of Delhi with respect to any of the matters enumerated in the State list or Concurrent list so far as any such matter is applicable to union territories, except matters with respect to Public Order, Police and Land,” clarified a home ministry notification issued on Thursday but made public only on Friday. The notification clarified that the Lt. Governor remained the administrator of the union territory. Source: IANS
Accepting the resignation of Tamil Nadu Chief Minister O.Panneerselvam and his council of ministers on Friday Governor K. Rosaiah invited AIADMK general secretary J.Jayalaltihaa to form the ministry at the earliest, a Raj Bhavan statement said. In two different statements issued, Raj Bhavan said that Rosaiah accepted the resignation of O.Panneerselvam and his council of ministers. "The Governor has requested the Chief Minister and his present council of ministers to function until alternative arrangements are made," the statement said. Rosaiah has also invited AIADMK general secretary and the leader of legislature party Jayalalithaa to form the ministry at the earliest. Source: IANS
Jayalalithaa elected as AIADMK legislature party leader, Panneerselvam to resign
The lawmakers of AIADMK party on Friday elected their general secretary J. Jayalalithaa as the leader of the legislature party, a party leader said. In a meeting held at the party headquarters in Chennai in the morning, AIADMK legislators unanimously elected Jayalalithaa as the leader of the legislature party, said the leader who did not want to be named. "It was a short meeting mainly to elect Amma (Jayalalithaa) as the AIADMK's legislature party leader," he said. Chief Minister O. Panneerselvam proposing Jayalalithaa's name as the leader of the legislature party, much to the clapping of all the law makers also said that he would resign as chief minister and leader of legislature party. Source: IANS
DMK president M.Karunanidhi on Tuesday said that party would deliberate at its district secretaries meeting on May 25 on whether to appeal against the acquittal of AIADMK general secretary J.Jayalalithaa by the Karnataka High Court. Speaking to reporters in Chennai, he said that a decision would be taken after deliberation and deep thinking on the issue. DMK general secretary K.Anbazhagan is one of the petitioners in the Rs.66 crore disproportionate assets case against Jayalalithaa. Last year, a trial court convicted Jayalalithaa with four years jail term and Rs.100 crore fine, but the Karnataka High Court accepted Jayalalithaa's appeal and acquitted her of all charges. Source: IANS
AIADMK legislator P. Vetrivel on Sunday resigned and his resignation has been accepted, the Tamil Nadu legislative assembly secretary said. A statement issued by assembly secretary A.M.P. Jamaludeen said Vetrivel - who represented the Radhakrishnan Nagar constituency - resigned from the membership of the assembly and it has been accepted. No reason for his resignation was given in the statement and Vetrivel was not available for comments. The development led to speculation that AIADMK general secretary J. Jayalalithaa may contest from Radhakrishnan Nagar constituency in north Chennai in her bid to get re-elected to the assembly. Source: IANS
About All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam
|Founder||Tamil film industry star, M.G. Ramachandran|
|Present prominent leaders of AIADMK||Jayalalithaa Jayaram, Dr. Ponnusamy Venugopal, C. Rajendran, S. Semmalai, P. Kumar, C. Sivasami|
|President of AIADMK||J. Jayalalithaa|
|Party type||Centre to Centre - left|
|Philosophy||Progressivism, Populism, Secular democracy, Gandhian secularism, Egalitarianism, Social justice, Federalism, Social conservatism, Nationalism|
|Party type||State Party|
|Seats in Lok Sabha||9 out of 545|
|Seats in Rajya Sabha||7 out of 245|
|Head office address||#226, Avvai Shanmugam Salai, Royapettah, Chennai - 600014, Tamil Nadu, India.|
|Phone no.||044 - 28130787, 044 - 28132266|
|Fax||044 – 2813510|
Major political and administrative differences started widening the gulf between Karunanidhi and MGR. Within a very short time span, MGR formed his own political party under the name AIADMK. With his calibre and aura, the people of Tamil Nadu increasingly aligned with MGR, popularly referred as Puratchi Thalaivar (Revolutionary Leader). Soon, the DMK was being charged with corruption-allegations from the other state parties as well as from the Centre in Delhi. MGR from AIADMK was elected as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu in 1977, and ruled for a period of 10 years, winning many hearts and minds of the common people. With his death, there was a succession crisis over who would become the president of AIADMK—MGR’s wife, famous Tamil star Janaki Ramachandran or former Tamil film star-turned-politician Ms. J. Jayalalithaa. Due to this crisis in
You may also like to read
|Know Political Journey of jayalalithaa jayaram|
|Know about J & K|
|Know about Elections in India|
Election Symbol and its Significance
The Election Symbol of the All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam is "two leaves". This symbol has a prominent history. When MGR died in 1987 and the major clash over taking-over the AIADMK began between Janaki Ramachandran and Jayalalithaa, the Election Commission of India refused to recognize both these factions of the AIADMK as a true successor of MGR. As a result, separate electoral symbols were assigned to both these groups. The Janaki Ramachandran faction was allotted the symbol of "two doves" and the Jayalalithaa faction was allotted the symbol of "crowing cock".
However, with the party breaking up further and the DMK’s rise to power, the crisis was resolved and Jayalalithaa restored the "two leaves" symbol of the AIADMK in 1989. The symbol is supposed to indicate that Jayalalithaa, lovingly called Amma, is two times the magnificence of other leaders. In other words, Jayalalithaa specifically or any other leader of the AIADMK, will work double for its people, as compared to other leaders or parties. Thus, the people can attest immense faith in the AIADMK and its leader, for the betterment of the state.
Leaders of the Party
The leaders of the AIADMK, who are also their national representatives and executives, are the following:
- Jayalalithaa Jayaram, President and General Secretary of AIADMK-Commonly called Jayalalitha, she has been popular as the second elected Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu. This is her 4thterm in office, and she preceded M. Karunanidhi of the DMK as CM. She was a member of the Rajya Sabha from 1984-1989. The Tamil Nadu government honored her with the prestigious "Kalaimamani" Award in 1972.
- Dr. Ponnusamy Venugopal, Secretary of the Medical Wing of AIADMK-He is a member of the 15thLok Sabha, and has been elected from the Thiruvallur constituency in Tamil Nadu.
- C. Rajendran, AIADMK- He is a member of the 15thLok Sabha, and has been elected from the Chennai South constituency in Tamil Nadu.
- S. Semmalai, AIADMK- He is a member of the 15thLok Sabha, and has been elected from the Salem constituency in Tamil Nadu.
- P. Kumar, AIADMK- He is a member of the 15thLok Sabha, and has been elected from 24- Tiruchirapalli constituency in Tamil Nadu.
- C. Sivasami, AIADMK- He is a member of the 15thLok Sabha, and has been elected from the 18- Tiruppur constituency in Tamil Nadu.
As a regional political party, the AIADMK has made a number of significant contributions to the political scenario of the country. Some of these are listed below:
- MGR involved himself in a number of philanthropic activities and initiations. He was the first donor to donate a large sum of 75,000 rupees to Indian Army, during the important Indo-China War in 1962. He also helped the distressed and needy in critical times like floods, fires, riots etc.
- MGR built a number of educational institutes under his personal supervision. This he did to spread the beautiful message of education, literacy and awareness to the under-privileged sections of the society primarily.
- The AIADMK initiated a number of fiscal and general policies to help farmers, SC/ST/OBCs, pregnant women, teachers, handloom weavers and physically challenged individuals. For example, the AIADMK introduced the distribution of bio-pesticides, certified seeds, soil health cards, and gypsum etc. to farmers. It has introduced urban cooperative banks for self-help maternity loans during pregnancy of a woman as well as the delivery of the child. It has very significantly introduced the Nutrition-integrated Child Development Service Scheme.
- There is a fund called the National Teachers Welfare Fund, for teachers introduced by AIADMK.
- During the December 2004 Tsunami, the Tamil Nadu government, headed by Jayalalitha, introduced various schemes and financial policies to attract huge profit, which was directed to help the tsunami victims.
- Official Website of AIADMK-http://aiadmk.com
- Head-Office Address of AIADMK- #226, Avvai Shanmugam Salai, Royapettah, Chennai - 600014, Tamil Nadu, India.
- Contact Numbers:044 - 28130787, 044 - 28132266
- Fax:044 – 2813510
- Email id:firstname.lastname@example.org
AIADMK Lok Sabha and Vidhan Sabha Election Results Year Wise
|Lok Sabha||Vidhan Sabha|
|State||Latest Year||Seats Won||Latest Year||Seats Won|
Last Updated on March 10, 2015