About All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam
Nationalist Congress Party (AIADMK) Facts
|Founder||Tamil film industry star, M.G. Ramachandran|
|Present prominent leaders of AIADMK||Jayalalithaa Jayaram, Dr. Ponnusamy Venugopal, C. Rajendran, S. Semmalai, P. Kumar, C. Sivasami|
|President of AIADMK||J. Jayalalithaa|
|Party type||Centre to Centre – left|
|Philosophy||Progressivism, Populism, Secular democracy, Gandhian secularism, Egalitarianism, Social justice, Federalism, Social conservatism, Nationalism|
|Party type||National Party|
|AIADMK Youth Wing||Nationalist Youth Congress|
|Women Wing||Nationalist Mahila Congress|
|Student Wing||Nationalist Student Congress|
|Agricultural Workers' Organization||Nationalist Kisan Sabha|
|Seats in Lok Sabha||9 out of 545|
|Seats in Rajya Sabha||7 out of 245|
|Head office address||10, Dr. Bishambhar Das Marg, New Delhi- 110001|
|Phone no.||011- 23314414, 23359218, 23752938|
|Fax||+91 11 23352112|
Major political and administrative differences started widening the gulf between Karunanidhi and MGR. Within a very short time span, MGR formed his own political party under the name AIADMK. With his calibre and aura, the people of Tamil Nadu increasingly aligned with MGR, popularly referred as Puratchi Thalaivar (Revolutionary Leader). Soon, the DMK was being charged with corruption-allegations from the other state parties as well as from the Centre in Delhi. MGR from AIADMK was elected as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu in 1977, and ruled for a period of 10 years, winning many hearts and minds of the common people. With his death, there was a succession crisis over who would become the president of AIADMK—MGR’s wife, famous Tamil star Janaki Ramachandran or former Tamil film star-turned-politician Ms. J. Jayalalithaa. Due to this crisis in the internal realms of the party and due to the absence of the political dynamism of MGR, the DMK rose to power in the state assembly elections of 1989, almost after a period of 12 years. With this eminent danger in sight, the AIADMK resolved its internal issue and swept back to power in the 1991 Tamil Nadu assembly elections. The present President of AIADMK and Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu is Jayalalithaaa. The party head-quarters is at Royapettah, Chennai.
Election Symbol and its Significance
The Election symbol of the All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam is "two leaves". This symbol has a prominent history. When MGR died in 1987 and the major clash over taking-over the AIADMK began between Janaki Ramachandran and Jayalalithaa, the Election Commission of India refused to recognize both these factions of the AIADMK as a true successor of MGR. As a result, separate electoral symbols were assigned to both these groups. The Janaki Ramachandran faction was allotted the symbol of "two doves" and the Jayalalithaa faction was allotted the symbol of "crowing cock".
However, with the party breaking up further and the DMK’s rise to power, the crisis was resolved and Jayalalithaa restored the "two leaves" symbol of the AIADMK in 1989. The symbol is supposed to indicate that Jayalalithaa, lovingly called Amma, is two times the magnificence of other leaders. In other words, Jayalalithaa specifically or any other leader of the AIADMK, will work double for its people, as compared to other leaders or parties. Thus, the people can attest immense faith in the AIADMK and its leader, for the betterment of the state.
Leaders of the Party
The leaders of the AIADMK, who are also their national representatives and executives, are the following:
- Jayalalithaa Jayaram, President and General Secretary of AIADMK-Commonly called Jayalalitha, she has been popular as the second elected Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu. This is her 4thterm in office, and she preceded M. Karunanidhi of the DMK as CM. She was a member of the Rajya Sabha from 1984-1989. The Tamil Nadu government honored her with the prestigious "Kalaimamani" Award in 1972.
- Dr. Ponnusamy Venugopal, Secretary of the Medical Wing of AIADMK-He is a member of the 15thLok Sabha, and has been elected from the Thiruvallur constituency in Tamil Nadu.
- C. Rajendran, AIADMK- He is a member of the 15thLok Sabha, and has been elected from the Chennai South constituency in Tamil Nadu.
- S. Semmalai, AIADMK- He is a member of the 15thLok Sabha, and has been elected from the Salem constituency in Tamil Nadu.
- P. Kumar, AIADMK- He is a member of the 15thLok Sabha, and has been elected from 24- Tiruchirapalli constituency in Tamil Nadu.
- C. Sivasami, AIADMK- He is a member of the 15thLok Sabha, and has been elected from the 18- Tiruppur constituency in Tamil Nadu.
As a regional political party, the AIADMK has made a number of significant contributions to the political scenario of the country. Some of these are listed below:
- MGR involved himself in a number of philanthropic activities and initiations. He was the first donor to donate a large sum of 75,000 rupees to Indian Army, during the important Indo-China War in 1962. He also helped the distressed and needy in critical times like floods, fires, riots etc.
- MGR built a number of educational institutes under his personal supervision. This he did to spread the beautiful message of education, literacy and awareness to the under-privileged sections of the society primarily.
- The AIADMK initiated a number of fiscal and general policies to help farmers, SC/ST/OBCs, pregnant women, teachers, handloom weavers and physically challenged individuals. For example, the AIADMK introduced the distribution of bio-pesticides, certified seeds, soil health cards, and gypsum etc. to farmers. It has introduced urban cooperative banks for self-help maternity loans during pregnancy of a woman as well as the delivery of the child. It has very significantly introduced the Nutrition-integrated Child Development Service Scheme.
- There is a fund called the National Teachers Welfare Fund, for teachers introduced by AIADMK.
- During the December 2004 Tsunami, the Tamil Nadu government, headed by Jayalalitha, introduced various schemes and financial policies to attract huge profit, which was directed to help the tsunami victims.
- Official Website of AIADMK-http://www.aiadmkallindia.org/
- Head-Office Address of AIADMK- 226, Avvai Shanmugam Salai, Royapettah, Chennai– 600014
- Contact Numbers-PHONE:044- 25672345, Fax: 044-25671441
- Email id:email@example.com,firstname.lastname@example.org
Last Updated on February 08, 2014