Factsheet Akhilesh Yadav
|DOB||Jul 1, 1973|
|Place of Birth||Saifai village, Etawah district, Uttar Pradesh|
|Father's Name||Mulayam Singh Yadav |
|Mother's Name||Malti Devi|
|Spouse Name||Dimple Yadav |
|Education||B.E. in Civil Environment Engineering, MBA|
|Alma mater||Sri Jayachamarajendra College of Engineering, University of Sydney|
|Children||1son 2 daughters|
|Political party ||Samajwadi Party|
|Important positions held ||20th Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh, President of the Samajwadi Party|
About Akhilesh Yadav
Akhilesh Yadav, son of Mulayam Singh Yadav is a dynamic young leader of Samajwadi leader. In March 2012, at the age of 38 years, he became the youngest person to hold the post. Akhilesh Yadav is now the president of National President of Samajwadi Party. Before the elections there was tussle in the Yadav family while Shivpal Singh wanted to push his candidates, Akhilesh was adamant on finalizing the candidate list. After much bickering in the family he assumed the command of the Samajwadi Party by dislodging his father Mulayam Singh Yadav and sidelining his uncle Shivpal Singh Yadav.
He went on to forge an alliance with the congress after securing the command of the party before the assembly elections of Uttar Pradesh and campaigned for the party. He harped upon the development and asked people to vote for him to defeat the communal forces. However the Samajwadi Party and the congress alliance lost the election to the BJP.
He played an important role in his party's campaign for the 2012 Uttar Pradesh assembly elections. He led the Samajwadi Party to power in the state for two consecutive terms. Akhilesh Yadav has been actively involved in developing rural life and working for the welfare of the farmers and the poor. He is known as one of the young faces in Indian politics.
Akhilesh Yadav was born on 1 July, 1973 in a village called Saifai in Etawah district of Uttar Pradesh. His father, Mulayam Singh Yadav, is a former chief minister of Uttar Pradesh. Mulayam Singh Yadav founded the Samajwadi Party of which he is also a member. Akhilesh Yadav's mother is Malti Devi. Akhilesh completed his schooling at Dholpur Military School in Rajasthan. Thereafter, he completed his Bachelor’s and Master’s degree course in Civil Environmental Engineering from Mysore University. He also studied in the University of Sydney, from where he holds a degree in Environmental Engineering. By profession he is an engineer, agriculturist and a socio-political worker.
Akhilesh Yadav married Dimple Yadav on 24 November, 1999 and the couple have two daughters, Aditi and Tina, and a son, Arjun. Akhilesh has keen interest in sports such as football and cricket. His favourite pastimes include reading, listening to music and watching films.
Political Career of Akhilesh Yadav
- In 2000, Akhilesh Yadav was elected as a member of the Lok Sabha for the first time from Kannauj. Thereafter, he won the Lok Sabha elections for the next two consecutive terms.
- Akhilesh Yadav has held membership in Civil Supplies, Food and Public Distribution Committee.
- From 2000 to 2001, he served as a member of the Committee on Ethics.
- From 2002 to 2004, he was a member of the Committee on Environment and Forests and also of the Committee on Science and Technologies.
- In 2004, he was re-elected as a member of the 14th Lok Sabha for a second term.
- From 2004 to 2009, he held membership in Committee on Urban Development, Committee on Estimates, Committee on Provision of Computers to various departments.
- In 2009, he became member of the 15th Lok Sabha; he got re-elected for a third consecutive term.
- From 2009 to 2012, he served as member of the Committee on Environment & Forests, Committee on Science & Technology and the JPC on the 2G spectrum scam.
- On 10 March 2012, Akhilesh Yadav was appointed the leader of the Samajwadi Legislative Party in Uttar Pradesh.
- On 15 March 2012, at the age of 38 years, he became the youngest Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh.
- On 2 May 2012, he resigned as member of the 15th Lok Sabha to become Member of Legislative Council in the state of Uttar Pradesh.
Achievements of Akhilesh Yadav
- Akhilesh Yadav has been actively involved in developing rural life and working for the welfare of the farmers and the poor. He is known as one of the young faces in Indian politics.
- Akhilesh Yadav has been recognized by the Samajwadi Party for his role in campaigning for the party during Vidhan Sabha elections. His innovative style of campaigning across the state through cycle rallies was a great success as it became quite popular among voters of different communities specially the young generation.
Last Updated on Feb 17, 2020