Mulayam Singh Yadav
|DOB||Nov 21, 1939|
|Place of Birth||Saifai,Etawah, Uttar Pradesh|
|Political party||Samajwadi Party|
|Education||B.A., B.T., and an M.A. in political science |
|Phone Number||05688-254017 |
|Address||Village & Post Saifai, District Etawa |
|Total Assets||Rs15,96,71,544 |
|Alma mater||K. K. College, Etawah|
A.K. College, Shikohabad
|Profession||Political and Social Leader|
|Spouse Name||Late Smt. Malti Devi, Sadhna Yadav|
- Chairman of the Samajwadi Party ( 1992-2017)
- Member of Parliament (Assumed office 2009)
- Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh ( 29 August 2003 - 13 May 2007), ( 5 December 1993 - 3 June 1996), ( 5 December 1989 - 24 January 1991)
- Minister of Defence (India) ( 1 June 1996 - 19 March 1998)
About Mulayam Singh Yadav
Mulayam Singh Yadav, a seasoned Indian politician, is the founder member of Samajwadi Party. He served as the Defence Minister of India under the United Front Government from 1996 to 1998 when he was elected to the Lok Sabha for the first time in 1996. Mulayam Singh Yadav is also a three-time former Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh; he held the position from 1989 to 1991, 1993 to 1995, and lastly from 2003 to 2007.
In his political journey that began in the 1960s, he has won several Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections and has been elected as a Lok Sabha member five times. Mulayam Singh Yadav is considered one of the key players in Indian politics, whose role, whether in coalition government or in opposition, has been instrumental and decisive.
Mulayam Singh Yadav was born to a poor peasant’s family on 22 November 1939. He was born in Saifai village, Etawah district, of the state of Uttar Pradesh in India. His father's name is Sughar Singh and his mother is Murti Devi.
He obtained a B.A., a B.T. and an M.A. degree in Political Science from different colleges and universities, namely the K.K. College in Etawah, the A.K. College in Shikohabad and the B.R. College under the Agra University.
|You may also like to read|
|Biography of Akhilesh Yadav|
|Biography of Shivpal Singh Yadav |
Mulayam Singh Yadav married the Late Malti Devi. Their only son Akhilesh Yadav, who was born in 1973, is the present Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh and a member of the Samajwadi Party. Malti Devi passed away in May, 2003. Mulayam Singh Yadav has another son Prateek Yadav from his second wife Sadhna Yadav. Prateek Yadav was born in 1988 and is into real estate business. Mulayam Singh Yadav admitted to his second marriage in the Supreme Court of India in February 2007.
|Ram Gopal Yadav Biography|
Mulayam Singh Yadav is a trained teacher and initially worked as a lecturer in Karhail in Uttar Pradesh. He is also known for his passion for wrestling.
Entry in Politics
Mulayam Singh Yadav got inspired by the ideologies and principles of socialist icon Dr. Ram Manohar Lohia. He joined politics at an early age of fifteen years, when he came in contact with people like Sarvashri Madhu Limaye, Ram Sewak Yadav, Karpoori Thakur, Janeshwar Mishra and Raj Narayan. He was also motivated by the works of former Prime Ministers of India such as Chowdhary Charan Singh, Shri V.P. Singh and Shri Chandra Shekhar. Mulayam Singh Yadav participated in several agitations seeking welfare and protection of rights of labourers, farmers, backward and minority classes and students. He was the president of the students' union at Etawah Degree College from 1962 to 1963, at A.K. College, Shikohabad and also at K.K. College in Etawah.
Political Journey So Far
- In 1960, Mulayam Singh Yadav joined politics.
In 1967, he won the Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections for the first time and became an MLA.
In 1974, he became the member of the Pratinihit Vidhayan Samiti.
In 1975, he was one of the opposition leaders to get jailed by the Indira Gandhi government during the emergency regime.
In 1977, he became the Cooperative and Animal Husbandry Minister in Uttar Pradesh.
In the year 1980, he was the Lok Dal President in Uttar Pradesh.
- From 1982 to 1985, he was the Lok Dal (B) President in Uttar Pradesh.
- From 1985 to 1987, he was the Janata Dal President in Uttar Pradesh.
- From 1989 to 1991, he was the Member of the Legislative Council in Uttar Pradesh.
- In 1989, Mulayam Singh became the Chief Minister of the state of Uttar Pradesh for the first time.
- In 1989, he was the Leader of Opposition in the Legislative Council of Uttar Pradesh after the dissolution of his government.
- In 1992, he founded the Samajwadi Party and became the Leader of Opposition in the Legislative Assembly of Uttar Pradesh.
- From 1993 to 1995, he held the position of the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh for the second time.
- In 1996, he was elected to the 11th Lok Sabha for the first time from Mainpuri constituency in Uttar Pradesh. He became the Union Minister of Defence under the United Front
- Government the same year and served in that capacity till 1998.
- In 1998 and 1999, he was re-elected to the 12th and 13th Lok Sabha respectively.
- From 1999 to 2000, he was the Chairman of the Petroleum and Natural Gas Committee. He was also a member of General Purposes Committee.
- In September 2003, he became the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh for the third time and held the post till May 2007.
- In 2004, he became an elected member of the 14th Lok Sabha for a fourth term.
- In 2007, his government lost the Uttar Pradesh assembly elections and ceded power to BSP.
- In 2009, he became an elected member of the 15th Lok Sabha for the fifth term.
- In August 2009, he became the Chairman of the Committee on Energy.
- In 2014, he contested for the Lok Sabha elections from the two constituencies of Mainpuri and Ghazipur, winning both. He later resigned from Mainpuri seat.
- He is currently serving as Lok Sabha MP representing Uttar Pradesh's Azamgarh constituency in the House.
Mulayam Singh Yadav Elections result
|Year||Constituency ||State ||Status|
Mulayam Singh Yadav and his family members faced allegations of holding assets not proportionate to their respective incomes in 2007. The family, however, claimed that the allegations were baseless and politically prone, and welcomed the court order for enquiry into the matter by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI). The CBI finally announced closure of the case against Yadav and his kin in September, 2013 due to lack of sufficient evidence.
Last Updated on June 30, 2020
Latest Election News and Update
US: Police Officer Killed Outside the Pentagon Police Building
On Tuesday morning the Pentagon Force Protection Agency confirmed that a Pentagon police officer was killed in an incident at the Metro bus platform outside the building. The investigators of the incident believe that there was an argument in which the suspect stabbed the Pentagon police officer. According to law enforcement sources, it appears that […]
PM Modi to Interact with NFSA Beneficiaries Under PMGKAY Today
On Tuesday the Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi digitally interacted with the PMGKAY beneficiaries of Gujarat state. The interaction between PM Modi and the beneficiaries of the scheme happened through video conferencing at 12:30 PM. On the Microblogging site, PM tweeted about the interaction with the beneficiaries of PMGKAY on Monday. He tweeted, “At 12:30 […]
PM Modi Meets Assam MPs amid the Mizoram-Assam Issue
In connection with the Mizoram-Assam issue, Prime Minister Narendra Modi meets the Member of Parliament (MPs) from Assam. Narendra Modi discussed the Assam Mizoram border dispute with the MPs, which lead to the death of more than four Assam Police personnel. Four BJP MPs from northeastern states met Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Monday alleging […]