About Shripad Yasso NaikShripad Yasso Naik, a great Indian politician and the MP from the constituency of North Goa, is the Minister of State with
Family and Personal Background of Shripad Yasso NaikNaik was born in a Bhandari community on October 4, 1952. It was a middle-class family in the village of Adpai in the district of North Goa. He was born to Yesso Bhikari Naik and Jayshri Yesso Naik. He completed his graduation from Bombay University and later in life decided to enter into the political arena. He is married to Vijaya and the couple has three sons.
Political Career of Shripad Yasso NaikA businessman by profession, Shripad Yasso Naik started his political career as the General Secretary of the BJP in Goa. Soon, he rose to the position of the party president. Naik was also the member of the Legislative Assembly of Goa. He was for the first time elected as the member of Lok Sabha in the year 1999 from the Panaji constituency of Goa. He managed to retain his seat and was re-elected to the Lok Sabha in 2004, 2009 and 2014.
Naik won the 2014 General Elections with a huge margin of 105000 votes. After assuming charge as the Tourism Minister in the newly-formed NDA government, Naik said that “The efforts of the new tourism ministry will be directed at developing tourism infrastructure in the country so as to provide a boost to the sector”. He further added that the visa and security issues will be taken care of and the tourism sector will be developed in such a way that a tourist feels secured while coming to India. "There are some incidents in the past which have created a bad name for the country. We need to address that; a tourist should feel safe here," he said. Hailing from Goa, a popular tourist destination, he is well aware of the problems the tourists face. In order to encourage tourism in the country, Naik recently said that all the impediments that restrict the flow of tourists in the country will be removed. Talking to the media, he said that the security of tourists will be the priority for his ministry.
During his political career, Naik has occupied many important positions in the government. He was the member of the consultative committee in Ministry of Tourism and Ministry of Urban Poverty Alleviation. While he was the member of the 13th Lok Sabha he served in several positions as the State Union Minister such as Agriculture, Shipping, Civil Aviation, Road Transport & Highways and Finance (Revenue).
The journey from the State Union Minister to the Minister in Modi's cabinet was long and not easy for Naik. It was his determination that led him to this position.
Apart from PoliticsAn avid traveller, he has been to many countries like Brazil, UK, France, Thailand and the US. Interested in social and cultural activities, Naik is associated with many cultural organisations. Now this may come as a shock to most of the people – Naik is a state-level Kabadi player and also a swimming champion. Apart from that, he also won the gold medal in racing and a silver in shooting. No doubt, he is an all-rounder in the field of sports.
Political Journey of Shripad Yasso Naik
- In 1988 he was appointed as the General Secretary of BJP's Goa Pradesh.
- He became the President of BJP, Goa in 1990.
- From 1994 to 1999 Naik was the member of Goa Legislative Assembly and also the member of Public Accounts Committee.
- He became the member of Lok Sabha in 1999, 2004, 2009 and 2014.
- From 1999 to 2000 Naik was the member of Committee on Transport and Tourism, member of Committee on Absence of Members from the Sittings of the House and of Consultative Committee of Ministry of Rural Development.
- From 2000 to 2003, he held portfolios of Union Minister of State under various ministries.
- Naik was a member of various Committees like that of Urban Development, Energy etc .
- Shripad Yasso Naik was appointed as the Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Culture and Tourism on May 27, 2014.
Last Updated on 25 March, 2017.