|Full Name|| Vijay Goel|
|Political Party||Bharatiya Janata Party|
|Place of Birth||Delhi|
|Education||M.Com. LLB. He has an M.Com. degree from Shri Ram College of Commerce and a LL.B. degree from the University of Delhi|
|Spouse Name||Preeti Goel|
|Children||1 son, 1 daughter|
|Father's Name||Charti Lal Goel|
|Mother's Name||vijay-goel-bjpBasanti Devi Vijay Goel|
|Position held||Minister of State Ministry of Parliamentary Affairs and Statistics & Programme Implementation (3 September 2017)|
About Vijay Goel
Vijay Goel, an eminent Indian politician, is a member of the
Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP). He is a former Delhi University Student’s Union (DUSU) president. In February 2013, he became the President of the Bharatiya Janata Party in Delhi. He was elected thrice as Member of Parliament for the 11th, 12th, and 13th Lok Sabha, when he represented Chandni Chowk and Sadar constituencies of Delhi. During the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) government, until 2004 he held positions such as the Union Minister of State of Labour, Parliamentary Affairs, Youth Affairs & Sports, and Statistics & Programme Implementation. His successful effort in banning lottery under the banner Lok Abhiyan earned him nationwide fame, while saving lakhs of poor families from ruin.
Personal background of Vijay Goel
Vijay Goel belongs to a family of freedom fighters from Sonepat, Haryana. He was born to Chatri Lal Goel and Basanti Devi on January 4, 1954. His father Chatri Lal Goel, a taxation lawyer, was a renowned personality. Chatri Lal Goel was a member of the Bharatiya Janata Party and served as Speaker of Delhi Vidhan Sabha. He was also the Deputy Mayor.
Vijay Goel is an alumnus of Shri Ram College of Commerce under the University of Delhi. By qualification he is an M.Com and LL.B. During Emergency in India, he was jailed for three months, along with his father Shri Chatri Lal Goel. Vijay Goel was a good basketball and Kho-Kho player and represented Delhi University and Delhi State, respectively. He married Preeti Goel on March 8, 1985. She is a professor at the University of Delhi. They have a daughter, Vidyun Goel, and a son, Siddhant Goel. By profession, Vijay Goel is a lawyer, trader and industrialist.
Goel has keen interest in music and art. He himself is a singer of ghazals and folk songs, besides playing the table. As an enthusiast in photography, he held two photo exhibitions on subjects related to rural life and nature. He also wrote a book on Chandni Chowk, called The Empire City.
Vijay Goel was born on 2 August 1956 to a Jain Bania family. He is a Bachelor of Arts degree holder. He has done LLB as well.
How did Vijay Goel enter politics?
Vijay Goel’s entry into politics happened in a gradual manner. His father was a member of the Bharatiya Janata Party, and later became a Speaker of Delhi Vidhan Sabha and Deputy Mayor. Vijay Goel was a member of the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) from a very early age. He joined NSS, NCC and Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad in 1972. In 1972-1973, he became the Joint Secretary of Students' Union at Shriram College of Commerce. In 1974-75 he was the Supreme Councilor of Delhi University Students Union, better known as DUSU, and also Treasurer of Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Prarishad (ABVP). He went to jail along with his father for three months during Emergency in India. During 1977-1978, after he got released from jail, he became the President of Delhi University Student’s Union under the candidature of Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Prarishad (ABVP). As a President of DUSU, he took up various students-related issues such as exposing rackets on fake SC/ST certificates, fake mark sheets, counseling students seeking admission in Delhi University, and banning ragging in colleges. In 1977 he joined BJP.
Activities and achievements of Vijay Goel
Membership held in different Committees
- In 1980-82 he was the General Secretary of Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha in Delhi.
- In 1982-84 he was the President of Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha in Delhi.
- In 1982-84 he became the Secretary of Bhartiya Janata Party in Delhi.
- In 1986-88 he was the all India Secretary of Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha.
- In 1991-93 he became the General Secretary of BJP District in Delhi Sadar.
- In 1996 he was elected as a Member of Parliament for the 11th Lok Sabha.
- In 1998 he was re-elected as a Member of Parliament for the 12th Lok Sabha.
- In 1999 he was re-elected as a Member of Parliament for the third consecutive time, for the 13th Lok Sabha.
- In 2001 he became Minister of State at Prime Minister’s Office and Planning Commission.
- In 2001-02 he became Minister of State at Prime Minister’s Office.
- In 2002-03 he was Minister of State at Prime Minister’s Office and Ministry of Statistics & Programme Implementation.
- In January 2003 he was a Minister of State at Ministry of Parliamentary Affairs and Ministry of Labour.
- In May 2003 he was Minister of State at Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports.
- In 2004 he was the General Secretary of the Bhartiya Janata Party.
- In 2007 he was the All India General Secretary of the Bhartiya Janata Party.
- In 2013 he became the President, Delhi Pradesh, of the Bhartiya Janata Party.
Positions held in Educational Sector
- Standing Committe, Ministry of Home Affairs
- Consultative Committee on Urban Affairs
- Public Accounts Committee
- Governing Body, AIIMS
- Municipal Corporation of Delhi
- Joint Parliamentary Committee
- Advisory Committee - DDA
Involvement in Social and Cultural Sector
- Chairman, Satyawati Co-Ed. College, Delhi University
- Member of Governing Body, SRCC
- Member of University Court
- Member of Governing Body, Laxmibai College
- Member of Anjuman (Court), Jamia Millia Islamia
- Member of University Court, Finance Committee, Delhi University
- Member of Governing Body, Moti Lal Nehru College
- Trustee of Maharaja Agrasen Hospital located at Pitampura, Delhi.
- President of Lok Abhiyan.
- Convener of Lottery Virodhi Aandolan.
- Vice President of Vaish Aggarwal Educational Society.
- Convener of Citizen Forum for Commonwealth Games.
- Convener of Bijli-Paani Andolan.
- Founder of Heritage India Foundation.
- Founder of Senior Citizen Federation.
Apart from these, he also holds membership in Roshanara Club, India International Centre and India Habitat Centre.
Activities and achievements of Vijay Goel
- Installed statue of Swami Vivekananda as President of Swami Vivekanand Smarak Samiti.
- Led a movement for Prohibition of Smoking in Public Places.
- Campaigned for creating awareness against the spread of AIDS among the youth of India.
- Instrumental in bringing Commonwealth Games to India during his tenure as Sports Minister under the NDA Govt.
- Fought for Regularization of Unauthorized Colonies
- Fought and took stand for the rights of Senior Citizens.
- Involved in Bijli-Paani Andolan to fight against lack of facilities in villages across Delhi.
- Beautified Red Fort with green lawns.
- Renovated MCD schools that fall under School Sudhar Yojana.
- Introduced computers in Hindi and Urdu schools.
- Improved slum areas and introduced mobile medical vans for the first time for the poor.
- Provided fund for renovating Haj Manjil and building Marghat Wale Hanuman Mandir.
- Restored renowned Urdu poet Ghalib’s haveli.
- Established Toy Bank, a nonprofit organisation that collects toys from affluent schools and families and distributes them among underprivileged children.
Awards Won by Vijay Goel
Global Excellence award and Sur-Sadhna Award for his contribution to the field of heritage, culture and development.
Honorary Doctorate from Gurukul Kangri University of Haridwar
Last Updated on Sept 14 , 2020