C D Mahant
|Name||Charan Das Mahant|
|DOB||Dec 13, 1954|
|Place of Birth||Saragaon, Distt. Janjgir Champa (Chhatisgarh)|
|Political party ||Indian National Congress|
|Father's Name||Late Shri Bisahu Das Mahant|
|Mother's Name||Late Smt. Janki Devi Mahant|
|Education||M.Sc., M.A., LL.B., Ph.D.|
|Occupation ||Reader, Writer, public intellectual, agriculturist|
|Spouse Name||Smt. Jyotsna Mahant.|
|Children||1 son 3 daughter(s)|
- Minister of State (January 2013 - May 2014)
- Union Minister of State (12 July 2011 - Oct 2011)
- Lok-Sabha (2009(15th Lok sabha) - 2014)
- Member of Parliament - Lok Sabha (1998 to 2004 (Two terms) - 2004)
About Charan Das Mahant
Dr. Charan Das Mahant, an Indian politician, is a member of the Indian National Congress. He has been the MP from the Korba Lok Sabha constituency of the state of Chattisgarh.He first won the Lok Sabha seat in 1998 and then was re-elected in 1999 and 2009. He is the Minister of State for Agriculture and Food Processing industries. Dr. Mahant was also appointed as the Working President of the Chhattisgarh Pradesh Congress Committee.
Personal background of Charan Das Mahant
Dr. C. D. Mahant was born on December 13, 1954 in Saragaon in the Jangir Champa District of Chhattisgarh. His father, Late Shri Bisahu Das Mahant, was a former congress MLA and state minister from Champa, besides being a well-known social worker. His mother was Late Smt. Janki Devi. Dr. Mahant’s educational Qualifications are: M.Sc., M.A., LL.B. and Ph.D. He studied at the Motilal Vigyan Mahavidhyalay under Bhopal University, and at Barkatulla University in Bhopal, in the state of Madhya Pradesh. Dr. Charan Das Mahant married Smt. Jyotsna Mahant and they have three daughters and a son. By profession he is an agriculturist, apart from being a politician and social worker.
His interests and favourite pastimes include painting, music, sports, reading, participating in debates, travelling and spending time with members of the family.
Charan Das Mahant's political Journey so far
- Member of Legislative Assembly of the state of Madhya Pradesh for two terms, from 1980 to 1990.
- Chairman of theCommittee on Assurances in the year 1981.
- In 1985 he was member of the Delegated Legislation Committee member and the Secretary of the Madhya Pradesh Congress Committee.
- During 1988 to 1989 he was the Minister of State, Madhya Pradesh, holding the Department of Agriculture.
- During 1993 to 1995 he became Minister of State, Madhya Pradesh (Independent Charge), in the Department of Commercial Tax.
- From 1993 to 1998, he was member of the Legislative Assembly of Madhya Pradesh.
- From 1995 to 1998, he was the Cabinet Minister, Madhya Pradesh, looking after Home Affairs and Public Relations.
- In 1998, he was elected as member of the 12th Lok Sabha.
- During 1998 to 1999, he held position as member of:
- Environment and Forests Committee and its Sub-Committee on Food Technology.
- Committee on Science and Technology.
- In 1999, he was re-elected for the second term to the 13th Lok Sabha, and also became Consultative Committee Member in the Ministry of Coal.
- From 2000 to 2004 he was member of:
- Committee on Science and Technology
- Environment and Forests Committee
- Consultative Committee under the Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers
- From 2004 to 2005 he was Working President of the Pradesh Congress Committee of Chhattisgarh.
- From 2005 to 2006 he was Acting President of the Pradesh Congress Committee of Chhattisgarh.
- From 2006 to 2008 he was President of the Pradesh Congress Committee of Chhattisgarh.
- In May 2008, he was again appointed as the Pradesh Congress Committee’s Working President.
- In 2009, he was re-elected for the third term, in the 15th Lok Sabha.
- On August 6, 2009, he became member of the Committee on Public Undertakings.
- On August 31 he became member of the Committee on Science and Technology, Environment and Forests.
- On September 23, 2009, he became the Chairman of the Joint Committee on Salaries and Allowances of Members of Parliament.
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Other activities and accomplishments
- Published three books in Hindi"
- Kabir Chintan
- Hindu Kahe Mohi Ram Piyara Musalman Rehmana
- Chhattisgarh Ke Samajik-Dharmik Aandolan
- During 1998 to 1999, he was the member of the Court of University of Delhi.
- He holds Fellowship of the Zoological Society of India.
- Instrumental in organizing different programs like:
- Kabir Satsang
- Exhibitions and discussions on painting and art
- Preparing action plan and organizing State-level programmes for the uplifting of tribal life; encouraging and creating platform for folk art such as drama, dance and songs.
Last Updated on June 12, 2020