|DOB||Nov 18, 1946|
|Place of Birth||Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh|
|Alma mater||St. Xavier's College, Kolkata|
|Profession before joining politics||Political and Social Leader|
|Spouse Name||Smt. Alka Nath|
- Member of Parliament, Lok Sabha (Assumed office 1998), (1980-1996)
- Union Minister for Commerce and Industry ( May 2004 - April 2009)
- Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) for the Textiles ( 1995-1996)
- Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) for the Environment and Forests ( 1991-1995)
About Kamal Nath
Kamal Nath, an Indian politician from the Congress party, is the Ex Minister of Urban Development. Kamal Nath is one of the longest serving and senior most members of Lok Sabha; the lower house of India's bicameral Parliament.He represents the Chhindwara constituency of Madhya Pradesh. He is a leader of the Indian National Congress (INC).Kamalnath was elected as the president of Madhya Pradesh Congress Committee in May, 2018to lead the party in upcoming assembly election of that year to be held in November-December 2018.
Personal background of Kamal Nath
Kamal Nath was born on November 18, 1946 in Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh. He studied at The Doon School and graduated with B.Com. from the St. Xavier's College, University of Calcutta. He got married to Alka Nath on January 27, 1973.
He married Alka Nath on 27 January 1973 and has two sons.
Political activities and achievements of Kamal Nath
- 1980, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1998, 1999, 2004, 2009: Elected to the Lok Sabha
- June 1991: Minister of Environment & Forests
- 1995: Union Minister of State, Textiles
- 2001: General Secretary of the INC
- 2004: Union Cabinet Minister of Commerce & Industry
Kamal Nath Elections result
|Year||Constituency ||State ||Status|
- 2009: Minister for Road Transport and Highways.
- 2011: Minister of Urban Development.
- October 2012: Minister of parliamentary affairs & urban development.
Business career of Kamal Nath
- President of the board of governors for the Institute of Management Technology (IMT)
- Chairman of Madhya Pradesh Child Development Council
- Nath emphasizes the need for infrastructure development in India with projects like the Delhi-Mumbai Industrial Corridor, a 90 billion dollars industrial development project.
- 2006: Honorary Doctorate given by Jabalpur's Rani Durgavati University.
- 2007: Entitled as the FDI Personality of the Year by the FDI magazine and the Financial Times Business.
- 2008: Honoured with the title "Business Reformer of the Year" by The Economic Times.
- 2011: The richest cabinet minister in India, possessing assets worth INR 2.73 billion.
- In November 2012, he received the "ABLF Statesman Award" at the Asian Business Leadership Forum Awards 2012.
Rice export accusations - In 2007, during Kamal Nath's tenure as Commerce minister, an Empowered Group of Ministers that included Nath, Pranab Mukherjee, and Sharad Pawar helped lift a ban on the export of non-basmati rice. It was alleged that PSUs involved in export of this rice to Africa outsourced the efforts to domestic private companies. It is claimed that the private companies made large profits while the PSUs reported small margins.
A book named India’s Environmental Concerns was published by him.
Status of Kamal Nath and his opponent candidates against from Chhindwara Parliamentary Constituency in Madhya Pradesh
The table below shows the status of Kamal Nath and candidates contesting against him from Chhindwaraloksabha seat with their party names and symbols along with the votes secured by each candidate.
Last Updated on June 24, 2020