About Jyotiraditya Madhavrao Scindia
Jyotiraditya Madhavrao Scindia, a member of the Congress party, was the union minister of state for the Ministry of Power since November 2012. He is a member of parliament representing the Guna constituency of Madhya Pradesh. He is also the current nominal maharaja of Gwalior, which was a princely state of the British Empire in India.
Jyotiraditya Madhavrao's personal background
He was born on 1 January 1971 in Mumbai as the son of Madhavrao Scindia, who was a Maharaja of Gwalior, a princely state during the British rule. His father represented the Guna Constituency in the Lower House of the Parliament. Scindia was just 31 when his father died in a plane crash, and so he joined politics to continue his father’s legacy.
Scindia, one of the richest ministers of India, is the grandson of the late Madho Rao Scindia, the last ruler of the Maratha princely state of Gwalior. He claims to be the sole inheritor of his father’s assets of Rs. 20,000 crores.
He graduated in Economics in 1993 from the Harvard University. He completed his M.B.A. in 2001 from the Stanford Graduate School of Business.He got married on 12 Dec 1994 to Priyadarshini Raje Scindia, the daughter of the royal family of Gaekwad Maratha. He has a son and a daughter.
Political activities and achievements of Jyotiraditya
- 2002: Elected to the 13th Lok Sabha from the Guna constituency
- 2002: Member of Committee on Finance & Committee on External Affairs
- 2004: Re-elected to the 14th Lok Sabha.
- 2004: Member of Committee on Estimates, Committee on Petitions, Committee on Defence, and Committee on Finance.
- 2008: Minister of State for Ministry of Communications and Information Technology.
- 2009: Re-elected to the 15th Lok Sabha.
- 2009: Union Minister of State for Commerce and Industry.
- 2012: Union Minister of State for Power.
- 2013: Chief of the Campaign Committee, Madhya Pradesh.
- Indian Planning Commission appointed Scindia to prevent the power blackout of July 2012 from happening again. July 2012 was marked by the largest grid collapse, affecting over 620 million people. Scindia in May 2013 assured that India would have the largest integrated grid in the world by January 2014 as the required actions had been taken.
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Apart from politics
- Served as an investment banker at Morgan Stanley and Merrill Lynch.
- Worked as an intern at the UN Economic Development Cell.
- Chairman of the Madhya Pradesh Cricket Association (MPCA).
- President of the Board of Governors, Scindia School, Gwalior. The school was founded by his great-grandfather for the sons of nobles and princes of India.
- Member of Delhi Gymnkhana, Delhi Golf Club, Classic Golf Course, DLF Golf Course, India International Centre and India Habitat Centre.
Jyotiraditya Madhavrao Scindia Elections result
|Year||Constituency ||State ||Status|
Jyotiraditya Scindia's Permanent Address
Jai Vilas Palace, Lashkar, Gwalior 470 004, Madhya Pradesh
Tel. (0751) 2322390, 2321101 Fax. (0751) 230411
Jyotiraditya Scindia's Present Address
27, Safdarjung Road, New Delhi 110 011
Tel. (011) 23792174, 23793301, 9868180692, 23061194
Fax. (011) 23013148 (R) 23062321 (O)
Last Updated on June 24, 2020