Factsheet Ashok Gahlot
|DOB||May 3, 1951|
|Place of Birth||Jodhpur, Rajasthan|
|Education||B.Sc., M.A. (Economics), LL.B|
|Profession before joining politics||Student politics, Political and Social Worker|
|Spouse Name||Sunita Gehlot|
|Children||1 son 1 daughter|
|Important positions held|
- General Secretary, All India Congress Committee since 2017
- 14th Chief Minister of Rajasthan from 13 December 2008 - December 2013
- 12th Chief Minister of Rajasthan from 1 December 1998 - 8 December 2003
- Union Minister of State for Tourism and Civil Aviation from 2 September 1982 - 7 February 1984
- Deputy Union Minister for Sports In office from 7 February 1984 - 31 October 1984
- Union Minister of State (Textiles) Independent Charge from 21 June 1991 - 18 January 1993
About Ashok Gehlot
A member of the Indian National Congress (INC), Ashok Gehlot has been the Chief Minister of Rajasthan on two occasions, from 1998 to 2003 and again from 2008 to 2013. He also served as Union Minister a few times. He was elected for the first time to the 7th Lok Sabha from Jodhpur parliamentary constituency in 1980. He went on to represent Jodhpur parliamentary constituency in the 8th, 10th, 11th and 12th Lok Sabha. In 1999 he was elected as MLA from Sardarpura (Jodhpur) assembly constituency. He won three assembly elections back-to-back.
Personal background of Ashok Gehlot
Ashok Gehlot was born on May 3, 1951 at Mahamandir, Jodhpur. He belongs to a Mali Gehlot family in Jodhpur. Gehlot has finished his graduation in Science and Law, and Masters in Economics.
Detailed professional background before entering politics
In 1971 during the liberation war of Bangladesh, Gehlot has served in the refugee camps at several places including Bangaon and 24 Parganas districts, West Bengal.
He was an active parti cipant in the camps organized by the Tarun Shanti Sena at Sevagram, Indore, Aurangabad, and Wardha.
Political activities and achievements of Ashok Gehlot
- In 1974, he became President of the Rajasthan NSUI.
- In 1979 he was elected President of City District Congress Committee, Jodhpur.
- In 1980, he became Member of Public Accounts Committee.
- In 1982, he was elected as General Secretary, Rajasthan Pradesh Congress Committee.
- In 1982, he became Union Deputy Minister, Department of Tourism.
- In 1983, he was the Union Deputy Minister for Department of Tourism and Civil Aviation .
- In 1984, he became Union Deputy Minister for Department of Sports.
- In 1984, he was Union Minister of State for Department of Tourism and Civil Aviation.
- In 1985, 1994, and 1997, he was elected as President of the Rajasthan Pradesh Congress Committee.
- In 1989, he became Minister, Department of Home and PHED.
- In 1991, he was Union Minister of State for Department of Textiles.
- In 1991, he was elected to the Consultative Committee on Communication (Lok Sabha).
- In 1991, he was elected to the Standing Committee on Railway (10th & 11th Lok Sabha).
- In 1996, he was elected to the Consultative Committee on External Affairs (Lok Sabha).
- In 1998, he became Chief Minister of Rajasthan.
- 2008-2013: Served as Chief Minister of Rajasthan.
- 2017: Appointed as General Secretary, All India Congress Committee
Gehlot is founder of the Bharat Seva Sansthan, which aims to render ambulance services and books free of cost through the Rajiv Gandhi Memorial Book Bank.
Gehlot is the Chairman of the Rajiv Gandhi Study Circle, Delhi. This organization looks after the interests of students and teachers at university- and college-level.
Last Updated on Feb 18, 2020