Factsheet Anto Antony
|Full Name||Arackaparambil Kurien Antony|
|Elected from||Kerala |
|DOB ||Dec 28, 1940|
|Place of Birth ||Cherthala, Distt. Alappuzha (Kerala)|
|Political Party||Indian National Congress |
|Father's Name||Shri Arakkaparambil Kurian Pillai |
|Mother's Name||Shrimati Aleykutty Kurian|
|Marital Status||Married on 17 March 1985 |
|Spouse||Elizabeth Antony |
|Children||Two sons |
|Education||B.A., B.L. Educated at University of Kerala|
|Profession before joining politics ||Advocate, Political and Social Worker |
- 1970-77, 1977-79, 1995-96, 1996-2001 and 2001-05 Member, Kerala Legislative Assembly
- 1977-78, 1995-96, 2001-04 Chief Minister, Kerala
- April 1985 Elected to Rajya Sabha
- April 1991 Re-elected to Rajya Sabha
- 1993-95 Union Cabinet Minister of Civil Supplies, Consumer Affairs and Public Distribution
- May 2005 Elected to Rajya Sabha
- May 2006-Oct. 2006 Member, Parliamentary Forum on Population and Public Health
- June 2006-Oct. 2006 Member, Committee on Health and Family Welfare
- April 2010 Re-elected to Rajya Sabha
|Book(s) Published||Editor, Kalasala, a Malayalam weekly, 1964-65; Editor, Printer and Publisher, Veekshanam, a Malayalam daily, 1978-82|
|Term||03/04/2010 to 02/04/2016|
|Memeber of||Rajya Sabha|
About A.K. Antony
A. K. Antony or Arakkaparambil Kurien Antony is an Indian National Congress party member and an Indian politician of great virtue. He has been the Defence Minister of India and member of the Upper House of the Parliament. He was privileged to be the Chief Minister of Kerala for three complete terms. After the resignation of K Karunakaran in the Rajan Case, Antony was sworn as the Chief Minister of the state on 27 April 1977. He became the youngest minister to hold that position and retained his post till 27 October 1978. After the second term as a Chief Minister, Antony was chosen as Leader of the Opposition in the Legislative Assembly of Kerala. He also held portfolio of the ministry of Civil Supplies, Consumer Affairs and Public
Distribution in 1994. He had also actively participated in many strikes like Oru Ana Samaram (Single Penny Strike). He is often been referred as "Mr. Clean of Indian Politics".
A K Antony’s Family background
Antony was born on 28 December 1940 at Cherthala in district Alappuzha, in a devout Syro Malabar Catholic family. His father was Arakkaparambil Kurien Pillai and mother Aley Kutty. He had his early education from Holy Family Boys High school and later from Government Boys High school in Cherthala. He completed his graduation in Arts from Maharajas College and BL from the Government Law College. After his father expired in 1959, he self financed his education by doing odd jobs. He had also worked as a LIC agent for few years. He is married to Elizabeth and has two sons, Anil Kurien Antony and Ajith Paul Antony. His eldest sister, Infant Tresa is a nun who is has been Provincial of Franciscan Clarist Order thrice, but he himself remained an atheist.
Antony’s Main stream political career
His second phase of political career began in 1977, when he became the Chief Minister of Kerala. His three-time victory in Kerala elections made him a most influential politician and a person of great repute in his party. He also became the member of the Rajya Sabha from 1985 to 95, minister for consumer affairs and civil supplies and later minister for Public Distribution. He was also the food minister, but has to resign due to the various allegations levied by him by other parties. In 2004, when he shifted base to New Delhi, he never looked back and is today one of the most trusted persons of Sonia Gandhi.
A.K. Antony’s achievements
- As a chief minister, he introduced the Unemployment allowance, prohibition of arrack, festival allowance for State employees and acts to revive the economy of Kerala.
- Took decisions in the education field of biotechnology, science and information technology.
- In 1977, he constructed the New Legislature complex.
- He became the youngest President of KPCC in 1972
- Secretary of AICC in 1984
- He became a member of the congress working committee
- Elected Chief Minister of Kerala from 1977 to 1978
- Second time Chief Minister of Kerala from 1995 to 1996
- Third time Chief Minister from 2001 to 2004
- Chairman of Disciplinary Committee of AICC in 1993
- Member of Parliament in Rajya Sabha in 1985, 1991, 1993-95, 2001, 2006, 2010
- Food minister in 1994
- Defence Minister in 2005 till 2009
- Serving second term as a defence minister of India
- Leader of the opposition in 2001, member of central election committee, AICC
- Member of committee on health and family welfare 2006
Since his early years, A. K. Antony was actively participating in politics and social activities.
- He became the School Union Councillor, in Cherthala, Alappuzha in 1956 and continued his activities in this position till 1957.
- He was Students Union Secretary in Cherthala, Alappuzha between the years 1957 to 1958
- He joined Cherthala Taluk Committee in 1957 and remained as its member till 1958.
- He was the Treasurer of Kerala Students Union between the years 1963 to 1964
- President of Kerala Students Union from 1964 to 1966
- Joined Kerala Pradesh Youth Congress Committee from 1966 to 1969
- Convener of State Liaison Committee of Ruling Coalition in 1970 and remained in this post till 1977, Kerala
- Member of Congress Working Committee since 1992
- Member of Central Election Committee in 2001
A.K. Antony won the Asianet Malayali of the year award in 2007
Last Updated on June 06, 2020