Ajay Maken Latest News And Updates
Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi today met street vendors and promised to take up their cause. He sought better facilities for them. "The v..... Read More
Members of Delhi Pradesh Congress Committee (DPCC) on Monday took out a protest march against the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) government for not appointin..... Read More
Former IPL chief Lalit Modi has alleged that Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi and his brother-in-law Robert Vadra were beneficiaries during his ..... Read More
Congress leader Ajay Maken on Friday criticised the Aam Aadmi Party government for not being able to fill the Lokayukta post, a state anti-corruptio..... Read More
Congress leader Ajay Maken on Thursday criticised the Delhi government's decision to hike its publicity budget from Rs.24 crore to Rs.526.19 cro..... Read More
Ajay Maken was appointed as the chief of Congress Campaign Committee for the assembly elections of Delhi 2015. Maken was also fielded from the Sadar Bazar assembly constituency as the CM candidate of Congress. The Congress was handed an embarrassing washout in the elections and failed to win even a single seat of the 70 member assembly. Maken, himself could not end up as the runner-up and came third behind Som Dutt of AAP and Praveen Kumar Jain of BJP.
Following the debacle, Ajay Maken stepped down as the Congress General Secretary. Former chief minister of Delhi, Sheila Dikshit put the blame of the drubbing Congress suffered on Ajay Maken. Maken reacted very angrily to the remarks.
Ajay Maken's Personal BackgroundAjay Maken belongs to a family of freedom fighters and politicians. His great grandfather Shri Jagat Ram and grandfather Shri O. P. Maken were freedom fighters and hailed from the Haria town of Gujarat district, now a part of West Pakistan. His uncle Mr. Satya Prakash Maken was a Metropolitan Councilor, he died at an early age of 26, which led his uncle Mr. Lalit Maken into politics. Mr. Lalit Maken later became a popular Trade Union leader and also an MP. He was married to Smt. Gitanjali, who was the daughter of Late Shri Shankar Dayal Sharma, the ex-President of India. The demise of Mr. Lalit Maken and his wife Smt. Gitanjali saw the entry of Ajay Maken into active politics.
Shri C. P. Maken and Smt. Santosh Maken were the parents of Ajay Maken. He is married to Smt. Radhika Maken and has a son, Aujaswi, and two daughters, Aarushi and Ahana. Ajay Maken was a student of St. Xavier’s School, Delhi. Thereafter, he did his graduation in B.Sc. Chemistry (Hons.) from the Delhi University. This is where his political career took a start when in 1985 he was appointed President of the Delhi University Student’s Union (DUSU). By profession, Ajay Maken is a businessman.
How did Ajay Maken Join politics?Ajay Maken was a student at Delhi University where he started his political activities. He became the President of the Delhi University Student’s Union (DUSU) in the year 1985. The Delhi University Student’s Union represents students of most of the colleges and faculties under Delhi University. The elections held in DUSU are considered prestigious and hold special significance among student unions. It gives opportunity to young aspirants to pave way into local and national politics. Ajay Maken’s uncles, namely, Mr. Satya Prakash Maken and Mr. Lalit Maken, were into politics and held important positions during their lifetimes as Metropolitan Councilor and Trade Union leader, respectively. Ajay Maken followed the legacy, and after the unfortunate demise of his uncle Mr. Lalit Maken, he was elected the President of the Delhi Transport Corporation Trade Union.
Ajay Maken's activities and achievements
- Member, Delhi Legislative Assembly for three terms (1993, 1998 and 2003).
- Delhi Pradesh Congress Committee General Secretary, 1993.
- General Secretary, Indian Youth Congress, 1997.
- Parliamentary Secretary to the Chief Minister of Delhi, Smt. Sheila Dikshit, 1999.
- Cabinet Minister, Transport, Power and Tourism, Govt. of Delhi, 2001.
- In 2003, he became the youngest Speaker in the Legislative Assembly of Delhi.
- Elected to the 14th Lok Sabha, 2004.
- In 2004, he was a member of:
- General Purposes Committee
- Rules Committee
- Committee on Information Technology
- House Committee
- Panel of Chairmen, Lok Sabha
- All India Congress Committee (AICC) Secretary, 2004.
- In 2006, Union Minister of State for Urban Development.
- In 2012, Union Cabinet Minister for Housing & Urban Poverty Alleviation.
- Congress General Secretary, 2013.
- Permanent Invitee and Member of All India Congress Committee (AICC), 2007.
- 2007, in charge of Orissa and Jharkhand.
- 2009, re-elected for the second term to 15th Lok Sabha.
- 2009, Union Minister of State for Home Affairs.
- In 2007, Union Minister of State for Youth Affairs and Sports (independent charge).
- Important decisions made by Ajay Maken as Union Urban Development Minister
- Granted permission for additional floor for all houses in Delhi having ground+3 floors.
- Regularized the existing 100% ground coverage on all plots up to 175 sq m.
- Regularized existing 1 meter projections in pre-1962 colonies and all authorized colonies, special areas, and villages.
- Exempted demolition of all rural and urban villages with height up to 15 m.
- Shops for specific needs, such as a kirana or stationery, with floor space of maximum 200 sq. ft. allowed to be opened anywhere.
|You may also like to read|
|Know about Uma Bharti|
|Know Political Journey of Uddhav Thackeray|
|Know about Elections in India|
CNGAs per Supreme Court's orders, Ajay Maken implemented compressed natural gas or CNG-based public transport system in Delhi, leading to improved quality of air in the city.
Power ReformsDuring his tenure as Power Minister, Ajay Maken implemented Power Reforms, which ensured long-term impact on adequacy and supply of Electricity in Delhi. Ajay Maken was a key player in getting sanctions for the gas-based 330 MW Pragati Power Project.
Transport MinistryInstallation of electronic meters and setting up of helplines for commuters were some of the steps taken by Ajay Maken as a Transport Minister.
Status of Ajay Maken and other candidates from Sadar Bazar Assembly Constituency (Delhi)The table below shows the status of Ajay Maken and other candidates from Sadar Bazar vidhan sabha seat with their party names and symbols along with the votes secured by each candidate.
|Candidate Name||Political Party||Symbol||Status||votes|
|Mirza Ali Raza||BSP||--||N.A|
|Mahender Pratap Singh Sikarwar||RPI(A)||--||N.A|
|Parveen Kumar Jain||BJP||--||33192|
Ajay Maken Elections result
Last Updated on 25 March, 2017.