Shivraj Singh Chauhan
|Full Name||Shivraj Singh Chouhan|
|Political Party||Bharatiya Janata Party|
|Place of Birth||Jait, Sehore, Madhya Pradesh|
|Education||M. A. (Philosophy) Gold Medalist|
|Alma mater||Barkatullah University|
|Spouse Name||Sadhana Singh|
|Father's Name||Shri Prem Singh Chouhan|
|Mother's Name||Smt Sundar Bai Chouhan|
|Residence||Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh, India|
|Position Held||18th Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh|
About Shivraj Singh Chauhan
Shivraj Singh Chouhan is an Indian politician belonging to the Bharatiya Janata Party. He is currently the Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh. Famous as 'bhai, beta and mama' among the people of Madhya Pradesh, Shivraj has won recognition as a strong leader by the opposition party because of his dedicated service. At present, he represents Budhni constituency, a tehsil place in Sehore district, in the Madhya Pradesh assembly.
Personal Background of Shivraj Singh Chouhan
Shivraj Singh Chouhan was born on March 5, 1959 at Jait village, Sehore in Madhya Pradesh. Chouhan is the son of Prem Singh Chouhan and Sundar Bai Chouhan. He completed his Masters in Philosophy from Barkatullah University, Bhopal. Chouhan married Sadhana Singh in 1992. The couple have two sons. Chauhan was an agriculturist before entering politics.
Political Career of Shivraj Singh Chouhan
- 1972: Joined the Rashtriya Swayamsewak Sangh
- 1975: President of Students’ Union of Model Higher Secondary School
- 1976: Participated in movement against Emergency
- 1978: Organizing secretary of A.B.V.P.
- 1978: Joint secretary of A.B.V.P.
- 1980: General secretary of A.B.V.P.
- 1982: Member of National Executive at A.B.V.P.
- 1984: Joint secretary of Bhartiya Janata Yuva Morcha
- 1985: General secretary of Bhartiya Janata Yuva Morcha
- 1988: President of the Bhartiya Janata Yuva Morcha
- 1990: Elected to the State Assembly from Budni Constituency
- 1991: Convener of ABVP
- 1991, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2004: Elected a Member of Parliament
- 1992: General Secretary of BJP, Madhya Pradesh
- 1993: Member of Consultative Committee on Labor and Welfare
- 1994: Member of Hindi Salahkar Samiti
- 1996: Member of Committee on Urban and Rural Development
- 1997: Member of Committee on Urban and Rural Development
- 1997: General Secretary of B.J.P., MP
- 1998: Member of Committee on Urban and Rural Development and its Sub-Committee on Ministry of Rural Areas and Employment
- 1999: Member of Committee on Agriculture
- 1999: Member of Committee on Public Undertakings
- 2000: National President of Yuva Morcha
- 2000: Chairman of House Committee and National Secretary, BJP
- 2005, 2009, 2014: Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh
Initiatives Taken By Shivraj Singh Chouhan
- 2006: Beti Bachao Abhiyaan. It aims at eliminating female foeticide.
- 2007: The Janani Suraksha Yojna. Complete financial and medical support is provided to pregnant women.
- 2007: The Ladli Lakshmi Yojna. As per this scheme, every girl child is to receive an amount of Rs. 2,000 on being admitted in sixth standard, and Rs. 4,000 in the ninth standard. On being admitted to the eleventh standard, Rs. 7,500 is to be given to her. Rs. 200 is to be given monthly during her higher secondary education. When she completes the age of 21 years, the girl would receive the remaining amount, which would be more than Rs. 1 lakh.
- His support of secularism can be witnessed in his acts of arranging mass marriages for Muslims and Hindus; running special trains to Ajmer; being a part of Iftar parties; etc.
Controversies Surrounding Shivraj Singh Chouhan
- In 2007, acting on the complaint of Congress leader and lawyer Ramesh Sahu, the Bhopal Court had ordered an inquiry against the Chief Minister and his Wife Sadhna Singh in "Dumper scam".
- In 2009, he was criticised all over the country for his comment to employ the local people of Madhya Pradesh and "not Biharis" in the state. However, later he made his point clear and said that everyone was welcome in the state of Madhya Pradesh.
- On 30 November 2013 he was criticized for irregularities in Madhya Pradesh Professional Examination Board (MPPEB) scam also known as Vyapam scam.
- 2011-12: Krishi Karman award for achieving highest production of wheat in the year 2011-12.
- 2011: Indian of the year award by NDTV
- 2012: United Nations Public Service Award for Madhya Pradesh Public Service Guarantee Act
- The incumbent chief minister of Madhya Pradesh Shivraj Singh Chouhan was conferred with SuryodayManavtaSevaSanman on 13 December 2016.
Last Updated on Sept 04, 2020