About Anant Geete
Anant Gangaram Geete, Union Minister of Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises, is a senior leader of Shiv Sena. He represents the Raigad constituency in Maharashtra. Though he is still in the Narendra Modi cabinet, his continuance in the Narendra Modi government has been the subject of much speculation because of the souring of ties between Shiv Sena and Bharatiya Janata Party. As per the available information, Anant Geete will continue as a Union Minister as of now but the final decision in this regard will be taken only when Prime Minister Modi comes back from his 10-day foreign tour that includes ASEAN Summit and G-20 meeting.
Early Life of Anant Geete
Son of Gangaram Sambhaji Geete and Anandi Bai, Anant Gangaram Geete was born on June 2, 1951 in Mumbai. He completed his matriculation from Ratnagiri’s Mumbai Board, which was earlier known as Pune Board.
Political Career of Anant Geete
Anant Geete first shot to prominence when he became Mumbai Municipal Corporation’s Councillor and completed his term from 1985 to 1992. During this tenure he also became Chairman of Municipal Corporation’s Standing Committee. Anant became Member of Parliament in the year 1996 and went on to become Shiv Sena Parliamentary Party’s Chief Whip.
Till now Geete has been elected as MP six times (in the years 1996, 1998, 1999, 2004, 2009, and 2014). During his entire tenure in the parliament till now, starting from the year 1996, he has been part of several committees including Railway Convention, General Purposes, Business Advisory, Committee Urban and Rural Development, Ministry of Human Resource Development’s Consultative Committee, Committee on External Affairs, Estimates, Ministry of Civil Aviation’s Consultative Committee, Food, Consumer Affairs & Public Distribution, Business Advisory, and OBC Committee.
Anant Geete became leader of the Shiv Sena Parliamentary Party in the years 1999, 2009, and 2014. He first became MoS of Ministry of Finance, Banking and Expenditure in 2002 and this tenure lasted for not even two months (July 1, 2002 to August 25, 2002). He became. However, on August 26, 2014 he became a full cabinet minister. He got the power portfolio and remained in that position up to May 2004. Anant Geete got elected for the 6th term in the recent Lok Sabha election of 2014 and was inducted in the cabinet by Narendra Modi as Union Minister of Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises on May 27, 2014.
Important Positions held by Anant Geete
- 1985-92 Councillor, Municipal Corporation, Mumbai
- 1990-92 Chairman, Standing Committee on Mumnicipal Corporation Mumbai
- 1996 Elected to 11th Lok Sabha from Ratnagiri (1st term).
- Chief Whip, Shiv Sena Parliamentary party
- 1996-98 Member, Committee on Urban and Rural Development
- 1998 Re-elected to 12th Lok Sabha (2nd term)
- 1998-99 Member, Committee on External Affairs and its Sub-Committee-III.
- Member Consultative Committee, Ministry of Human Resouirce Development
- 1999 Re-elected to 13th Lok Sabha (3rd term).
- Leader, Shiv Sena Parliamentary Party
- 1999-2000 Chairman, Committee on Urban and Rural Development. Member, Business Advisory Committee.
- Member, General Purposes Committee. Member, Railway Convention Committee.
- 1999-2001 Member, Committee on Estimates
- 2000-2002 Member, Consultative Committee. Ministry of Civil Aviation
- Jul-Aug 2002 Union Minister of State, Ministry of Finance, Banking and Expenditure
- Aug 2002-May 2004 Union Cabinet Minister, Power
- 2004 Re-elected to 14th Lok Sabha (4th term)
- Member, General Purposes Committee. Chairman, Committee on Chemicals and Fertilizers Member, Committee on Petitions
- Aug 2007 onwards Chairman, Committee on Chemicals & Fertilizers
- 2009 Re-elected to 15th Lok Sabha (5th term)Leader, Shiv Sena Parliamentary Party, Lok Sabha
23rd Sep 2009 Chairman, Committee on Petitions
- Member, Committee on Food, Consumer Affairs & Publlic Distribution. Member, Business Advisory Committee Member, Konkan Railway Users' Consultative Committee
- May 28 2014 Union Cabinet Minister,Heavy Industries & Public Sector Enterprises
Last Updated on June 05, 2020