About Election Commission of Odisha
Odisha (formerly Orissa) got its separate identity on April 1, 1936 as it became an independent province under the government of India. Democracy was always thriving in the state, but it completed a full circle when the State Election commission of Odisha came into being.
According to the 73rd and 74th Amendment Act of 1992, it is compulsory to have an election commission for all states. These state election commissions are headed by officers known as commissioners. The Election Commission of Odisha was set up to superintend, conduct and supervise free and fair elections in the state.
The chief electoral commissioner (CEO) of Odisha is appointed by the governor of the state. Also, the commission appoints a secretary, who can be a delegate of the chief electoral officer of the state.
Chief Electoral Commissioner of Odisha
The chief electoral commissioner of Odisha state election commission is Dr. Mona Sharma. She is an IAS officer of the 1989 batch. She is also the ex-officio commissioner-cum-secretary to the government.
Officers Appointed by the Election Commission of Odisha
The election commission of Odisha appoints many officers for the betterment of the electorate. The names of the relevant officers appointed by the state election commission of Odisha are:
- Chief Electoral Officer: Dr. Mona Sharma
- Deputy Electoral Officer: Shri R Balakrishnan
- DEO, Angul: Shri Aravind Agrawal
- DEO, Balasore: Shri Parameswaran B
- DEO, Baragarh: Shri Bhabagrahi Mishra
- DEO, Bhadrak: Laxminarayan Mishra
- DEO, Bolangir: Shri D Prasanth Ku. Reddy
- DEO, Boudh: Shri Mahendra Ku. Mallick
- DEO, Cuttack: Shri. Girish S.N.
- DEO, Deogarh: Shri Shyam Sundar Nayak
- DEO, Dhenkanal: Smt. Roopa Roshan Sahoo
- DEO, Gajapati: Shri Basudev Bahinipati
- DEO, Ganjam: Dr. Krishan Kumar
- DEO, Jagatsingpur: Shri Satya Ku. Mallick
- DEO, Jajpur: Shri Anil Kumar Samal
- DEO, Jharsuguda: Smt. Guha Poonam Tapas Kumar
- DEO, Kalahandi: Shri Bijayaketan Upadhyaya
- DEO, Kendrapara: Shri Niranjan Nayak
- DEO, Kandhamal: Shri Noon Svath Thirumala Upadhyaya
- DEO, Keonjhar: Shri Bishnu Prasad Sahoo
- DEO, Koraput: Shri Sachin Ramachandra Jadhav
- DEO, Malkangiri: Dr. M. Muthukumar
- DEO, Mayurbhanj: Shri Rajesh Pravakar Patil
- DEO, Nuapada: Shri Jaya Kumar V
- DEO, Nawarangpur: Smt. Yamini Sarangi
- DEO, Nayagarh: Shri Muralidhar Barik
- DEO, Puri: Shri Nabakumar Nayak
- DEO, Rayagada: Shri Sashibhusan Padhi
- DEO, Sambalpur: Shri Balwant Singh
- DEO, Subarnapur: Shri Ravindra Pratap Singh
- DEO, Sundargarh: Shri Bhupendra Singh Poonia
Schedule and the budget of Odisha Elections
The present government in Odisha assumed office in 2009 when it won the last conducted state assembly elections. The current government ends its tenure in 2014, when the next elections will be conducted. Details related to the Odisha elections have not yet been revealed, but will be updated on the commission's website.
Address and Contact details:
Dr. Mona Sharma, IAS
Commissioner-cum-Secretary, Cooperation Department
Govt. of Odisha
Last Updated on April 11, 2020