Manohar Parrikar Latest News And Updates
September 07, 2015 11:37 AM
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday clarified that soldiers who retire prematurely will benefit from implementation of the 'One Rank One Pens.....
President Pranab Mukherjee and Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday paid floral tributes to late former president A.P.J Abdul Kalam at the techni.....
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Monday met Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar and other senior ministers over a terror attack in a Punjab town that l.....
The Indian Army is facing a shortage of around 10,000 officers, Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar informed the Lok Sabha on Friday. The army, accord.....
The AAP on Wednesday alleged that Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar, when he was Goa's chief minister, awarded a consultancy contract to the now.....
Manohar Gopalkrishna Prabhu Parrikar
|Incumbent||Chief Minister of Goa|
|Date of Birth|| Dec 13, 1955|
|Date of Birth|| Dec 13, 1955|
|Birth Place||Mapusa, North Goa|
|Mother||Smt. Radhabai Parrikar|
|Residence||Address: House No. 12/182 Khorlim-Mapusa, Goa – 403507|
|Marriage||He is married to Medha Parrikar.|
|Schooling||He studied at Loyola High School.|
|Education||He completed his secondary education in Marathi and went on to graduate in metallurgical engineering from IIT Bombay in 1978.|
|Occupation||An Active Politician And the Chief Minister of Goa.|
|Start of politics||He was first elected to the Second Legislative Assembly of the State of Goa in 1994.|
|Political career as Chief Minister of State (In 1999 till 2012)|
- He was the leader of the opposition from June to November 1999. He first became the Chief Minister of Goa on October 24, 2000 but could only last till Feb 27, 2002.
- In June 2002: he was re-elected to the assembly and was elected Chief Minister again (on June 5, 2002).
- On January 29, 2005: His government was reduced to a minority after 4 BJP MLAs resigned from the House. Parrikar claimed that he could prove his majority and he has proved that in February 2005, after continued disputes, the state was put under president’s rule in March 2005.
- In 2007: the Parrikar as a candidate of BJP, was defeated in the Goa state elections by the Indian National Congress led by Digambar Kamat.
- His party became victorious once again after the BJP and won against INC in the Goa Assembly Elections held in March 2012. At the time of elections he also restored his Chief Minister position.
|Political Party||Bharatiya Janata Party|
|Preceded by||Digambar Kamat|
|Portfolio||Minister of Defence|
|Role in National Politics||Acknowledging his pioneering work, which put Goa on path of development, he was conferred as “The Best Chief Minister”. Widely respected even amongst his rivals, his personal integrity is beyond doubt, a rare attribute in politics. Known to be a man of action and principles, Mr. Parrikar is known as Mr. Clean in Goa.|
|As the Chief Minister of Goa (2012)||Manohar Parrikar is an Indian politician who has been Chief Minister of Goa since Mar 9, 2012 to Nov, 2014|
|Awards and recognitions|
- 2001: He was awarded by IIT Bombay with the Distinguished Alumnus Award because he is the first IIT graduate to become the Chief Minister of any Indian state.
- 2012: CNN-IBN Indian of the Year in politics category.
About Manohar Parrikar
Manohar Parrikar is the new chief minister of Goa. He was sworn in as the chief minister of Goa. After the assembly elections BJP staked its claim to form the government in Goa and wanted a strong CM. He was serving as the Defense minister in Narendra Modi Government but resigned and took up his new job. In his earlier stints as Chief Minister of Goa, he served the state from 2000 to 2005 and from 2012 to 2014. He was a member of the Rajya Sabha from Uttar Pradesh but resigned after the 2017 Goa Legislative Assembly election to become Chief Minister of Goa.
Many thought that 59-year-old Manohar Parrikar reached the zenith of his political career when he became Chief Minister of Goa. However, the scenario changed in the last one week when the news started flashing that he may be inducted in the Union cabinet.
Manohar Parrikar had in the past showed his administrative as well as organisational skills to run the BJP government in Goa. This is one of the reasons why Narendra Modi wanted a senior and efficient person to relieve Arun Jaitley from his overburdened position. Parrikar’s journey from IIT Bombay to Indian political landscape is fascinating and his upcoming swearing in as the next Defence Minister of India is going to open up a new vista of in his political career.
Manohar Parrikar's Early Life
Manohar Gopalkrishna Prabhu Parrikar was born on December 13, 1955 in Goa’s Mapusa. He did his schooling (primary as well as secondary) from Margao itself. His completed his schooling from Loyola High School, where Marathi was the medium of education. After that he got admitted to IIT-Bombay in metallurgical engineering and graduated in the year 1978. In the year 2001, he received his Distinguished Alumnus Award from his renowned institute. He was married to Medha Parrikar and the couple was blessed with two sons. However, in the year 2000 his wife died of cancer.
Political Career of Manohar Parrikar
His journey from being an IITian to Chief Minister of Goa and now the Defence Minister of Goa is fascinating. Though the road involved bumpy rides but he made it through more or less smoothly.
His political career started in the year 1994, when he became an MLA in the Goa Assembly. He soon climbed the organisational as well as legislative ladder to become opposition leader in the Goa Assembly in 1999 (from June to November). Parrikar went on to become the Goa CM on October 24, 2000 and continued to be so till February 27, 2002. However, he again became CM on June 5, 2002.
His government became a minority one on January 29, 2005. But Manohar Parrikar manoeuvred election machinery well and made a comeback in March 2012 Assembly elections with BJP and allies winning 24 constituencies. He was the Chief Minister of Goa until November 8, 2014, the date of his resigning from the position to assume another important position at the centre.
Important positions held by Manohar Parrikar
- 1988: He joined BJP and after he entered into the Politics.
- 1994: Elected to the Second Legislative Assembly of the State of Goa in first time.
- 1994 -2001: General Secretary & Spokesman, Bharatiya Janata Party on the Goa State.
- 24th October 2000 to 27th February 2002: Chief Minister and held portfolios of Home, Personal Finance, General Administration and Education.
- 5 June 2002: He was re-elected and became the Chief Minister again.
- une 2002: Re-elected to the Fourth Legislative Assembly of the State of Goa.
- June 2007: Re-elected to the Fifth Legislative Assembly of the State of Goa. Leader of the Opposition.
Last Updated on 28 April, 2017.