Ghulam Nabi Azad Latest News And Updates
The Rajya Sabha was adjourned till 2.30 p.m. on Friday after repeated disruptions by the opposition parties, demanding the resignations of External ..... Read More
Terming Madhya Pradesh's Vyapam scam the "grandmother of all scams", Leader of Opposition in the Rajya Sabha Ghulam Nabi Azad Monday s..... Read More
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Monday urged all political parties to move forward on the land acquisition bill that has created a major national di..... Read More
A meeting of Congress chief ministers, the first since the party lost the Lok Sabha elections last year, began in New Delhi on Tuesday. Participants..... Read More
The Rajya Sabha is not obstructing legislative business but performing its mandate under the constitution to ascertain whether laws are beneficial f..... Read More
About Ghulam Nabi AzadGhulam Nabi Azad is an Indian politician, a Congress Party leader and was the Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare. He is often considered as the 'crisis manager' of the Congress party. He was the Parliamentary Affairs Minister of India in the government of Manmohan Singh till October 2005. He also became the first Congress CM of Jammu & Kashmir after a hiatus of 30 years.
Ghulam Nabi Azad's Personal BackgroundGhulam Nabi Azad was born on 7 March 1949 in Kashmir's Doda district, which used to be the hotbed of militants. After attending school in his ancestral village he moved out of the native place to the Baderwah town to attend college. Azad was considered one of the most ambitious kids growing up in that region. He joined the National Cadet Corps as a student.
He moved to Jammu and finished his Bachelor's degree from G.G.M. Science College. He completed his Masters in Zoology from Kashmir University in 1972. In 1980, Azad tied knot with a renowned Kashmiri singer, Shameem Dev Azad.
How did Ghulam Nabi Azad Enter Politics?Azad entered the world of politics at the age of 24, when he was appointed as the Block Secretary of Congress Committee, Blessa in 1973. After serving as the Block Secretary till 1975 Azad was elevated to a state-level position, as the President of Jammu and Kashmir Pradesh Youth Congress.
Political Journey of Ghulam Nabi Azad
- Azad started his political career as a Block Secretary of Congress Committee in 1973.
- In 1975, he was nominated as the President of Jammu and Kashmir Pradesh Youth Congress.
- In 1980, Azad was appointed as the President of the All India Youth Congress.
- Between 1980 and 1984, he served as a Member of the Lok Sabha (from Washim, Maharashtra).
- From 1982 - 1983, he was the Union Deputy Minister in the Ministry of Law, Justice and Company Affairs.
- From 1983 - 84, Azad was the Union Deputy Minister in the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting.
- He was appointed as the Union Minister of State in the Ministry of Parliamentary Affairs on 31 Dec 1984.
- He also served as the Union Minister of State in the Ministry of Home Affairs for a brief while from May to Oct 1986. In Oct 1986, he was chosen as the Union Minister of State in the Ministry of Food and Civil Supplies.
- From 1985 - 89, Azad remained a member of the Lok Sabha.
- Azad’s first entry into the Rajya Sabha happened in April 1990.
- During Narasimha Rao's regime (June 1991 - May 1996), Azad took charge of the Parliamentary Affairs, Civil Aviation and Tourism ministries.
- In Nov 1996 he was re-elected to the Rajya Sabha. Two years later in 1998, Azad became the Member of the Standing Committee on Energy.
- From Dec 1999 to Feb 2004, he served as the member of the Standing Committee on Transport, Tourism and Culture.
- He was re-elected to the Rajya Sabha in Nov 2002.
- Between May 2004 and Oct 2005, Azad doled out his responsibility as the Union Minister of Parliamentary Affairs and the Minister of Urban Development.
- In 2005, for the first time Ghulam Nabi Azad became the Chief Minister of Jammu and Kashmir. He held on to this position till July 2008.
- He was elected to the Rajya Sabha in Feb 2009.
- Since May 2009 onwards he has been appointed as the Health and Family Welfare Minister.
Activities and Achievements of Ghulam Nabi Azad
- Azad expressed his intention of expanding the ambit of National Rural Health Mission (NRHM), as he swore as the Union Health Minister during the UPA II regime.
- He has also worked towards his mission of launching an Urban Health Mission to serve urban poor living in slums.
- It is under his aegis that India received the tag of a 'polio-free' country from the WHO. Most of the success of the Polio Eradication Programme is attributed to his measures and strategic investments made under NRHM.
- National AIDS Control Programme (NACP) is another pet project of Azad. He has recently launched the 4th phase of the program with an objective of 'reducing stigma and discrimination against HIV infected and affected persons.'
Awards Won by Ghulam Nabi AzadGhulam Nabi Azad's efforts to make India 'polio-free' were recognized by the UNICEF and WHO. Azad was awarded with a memento as a token of appreciation by senior officials from Unicef And Who.
|You may also like to read|
|Know about Manish Tewari|
|Know Political Journey of Mamata Banerjee|
|Know about Elections in India|
Ghulam Nabi Azad Elections result
|2014||Udhampur||Jammu And Kashmir||Lose|
|2009||Udhampur||Jammu And Kashmir||Won|
Status of Ghulam Nabi Azad and his opponent candidates against from Udhampur Parliamentary Constituency in Jammu And KashmirThe table below shows the status of Ghulam Nabi Azad and candidates contesting against him from Udhampur lok sabha seat with their party names and symbols along with the votes secured by each candidate.
|Candidate Name||Political Party||Symbol||Status||votes|
|Ghulam Nabi Azad||INC||--||426393|
|Dharam Pal Balgotra||BSP||--||N.A|
|Prof. Bhim Singh||JKNPP||--||N.A|
|Dr. Jitendra Singh||BJP||--||487369|
|Mohd Arshad Malik||JKPDP||--||N.A|
|Anil Kumar Gupta||IND||--||N.A|
Last Updated on 24 February, 2017.