Factsheet Ahmed Patel
|DOB||Aug 21, 1949|
|Place of Birth||Bharuch, Gujarat|
|Political party||Indian National Congress|
|Education||B.Sc. Educated at Shree Jayendra Puri Arts and Science College, Bharuch (South Gujarat University) and M.S. University, Baroda|
|Profession before joining politics||Agriculturist|
|Spouse Name||Memoona Ahmed|
|Children||1 daughter, 1 son|
|Important positions held||Member of Parliament for Gujarat, Member of Parliament for Bharuch, |
About Ahmed Patel
Ahmed Patel is an Indian politician who holds senior position as a member of the Indian National Congress.At present Ahmed Patel is the political Secretary of the Congress President Sonia Gandhi. He is considered as one of the national-level leaders of the party involved in the decision making process. Popularly referred as Ahmed Bhai, he is considered second to Congress President Sonia Gandhi among most politicians. Often tagged as the crisis man, he is perceived to be consulted by Sonia Gandhi on different political overtures by the political circle. He is known to be a smart and good-natured person.
Personal background of Ahmed Patel
Ahmed Patel was born on 21 August 1949 in a village called Piraman which is located near Ankleshwar, the industrial city in Bharuch, Gujarat. His father was Mohammed Ishakji Patel and mother was Hawaben Mohammedbhai. He completed his B.Sc. from Shree Jayendra Puri Arts and Science College in Bharuch and MS University, Baroda. On 7 March 1976 he married Memoona Ahmed Patel and they are blessed with a son and a daughter. By profession he is an agriculturist. His interests include music, reading, gardening and cultural programmes.
Political Journey of Ahmed Patel
- From March 1977 to August 1979 he was elected as a member of the 6th Lok Sabha.
- From 1977 to 1982 he was the President of the Pradesh Youth Congress Committee of Gujarat.
- From 1980 to 1984 he was elected as a member of the 7th Lok Sabha.
- From September 1983 to December 1984 he was the Joint Secretary of the All India Congress Committee.
- From December 1984 to1989 he was elected as a member of the 8th Lok Sabha.
- From January 1985 to September 1985 he served as the Parliamentary Secretary to the Prime Minister.
- From September 1985 to January 1986 he served as the General Secretary of the All India Congress Committee.
- From January 1986 to October 1988 he was the President of the Pradesh Congress Committee of Gujarat.
- From April 1992 he is the member of the Congress Working Committee.
- From May 1992 to October 1996 he was the General Secretary of the All India Congress Committee.
- In August 1993 he was elected as a member of the Rajya Sabha.
- From October 1996 to July 2000 he served as the Treasurer of the All India Congress Committee.
- In August 1999 he was elected again as a member of the Rajya Sabha.
- From December 1999 to February 2004 he was the member of the Committee on Petroleum and Chemicals.
- From January 2000 to February 2004 he was the member of the Consultative Committee on Ministry of Civil Aviation.
- From August 2004 to May 2009 and from August 2009 onwards he is a member of the Committee on Petroleum and Natural Gas.
- From October 2004 to 2005 he remained a member of Ministry of Human Resource Development’s Consultative Committee.
- In August 2005 he was elected as a member of the Rajya Sabha.
- Since January 2006 he is a member of the Joint Parliamentary Committee on Wakf.
- In August 2011 he was elected as a member of the Rajya Sabha.
Other positions held by Ahmed Patel
- Managing Trustee of the Gujarat Rahat Samiti
- Chairman of the Sanskritik Vikas Mandal at Ankleshwar in the Bharuch District
- Director of:
- District Cooperative Bank at Bharuch since September 1977
- Indian Airlines from July 1992 to May 1993
Corruption charges on Ahmed Patel
It was alleged in July 2008 that Ahmed Patel was involved in the scam of cash-for-votes when the trust vote for the UPA government was undertaken. The Speaker of the Lok Sabha had undertaken investigation of the whole episode; however, Mr. Ahmed Patel was given a clean chit formally as there was no evidence found to support the allegation against him.
Last Updated on June 04, 2020