Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam Latest News And Live Updates
Reaching out after signing of historic peace accord between government and Nationalist Socialist Council of Nagaland NSCN (I-M), Prime Minister Nare..... Read More
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J. Jayalalithaa on Thursday condemned DMK treasurer M.K. Stalin for "slapping" a co-passenger in a metro train. ..... Read More
Polling for Tamil Nadu's Radhakrishnan Nagar assembly constituency with Chief Minister J. Jayalalithaa as one of the contestants began in Chenna..... Read More
The Congress on Monday joined the DMK and PMK in keeping itself away from contesting against Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J. Jayalalithaa in the Radhak..... Read More
DMK president M. Karunanidhi on Wednesday said that the party would not contest the June 27 by-election to the Tamil Nadu assembly from the Radhakri..... Read More
About Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam
The Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam, translated as the 'Dravidian Progress Federation' is a breakaway faction of Periyar's political party called Dravida Kazhagam. The Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK) was formed in the year 1949 by C.N. Annadurai. It is a regional
The present president of the party, leading the DMK from 1969 onwards, is M. Karunanidhi, who has remained the former Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu. Veteran superstar from the south, M.G. Ramachandran, popularly called M.G.R, was an active member of the DMK in its growing years. He had joined the party in 1953, popularizing the party ideologies, aims and objectives. However, there were tensions between Karunanidhi and M.G.R, over internal working and leadership struggle within the party. Soon M.G.R exited from the party, forming his own political party which famously came to be known as the AIADMK. Karunanidhi has hence, been the head of the DMK, taking all important decisions.
The DMK won the Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly elections in 2006, with Karunanidhi as the Chief Minister from 2006 to 2011, when the AIADMK took over the governance of the state.
Election Symbol and its SignificanceThe Election Symbol of the DMK, as approved by the Election Commission of India, is the "Rising Sun" with the sun rising between two mountains. This symbol is very significant as people in Tamil Nadu and Puducherry immediately connect with the symbol. In fact, there is a English weekly by the name 'The Rising Sun' made available in the state of Tamil Nadu.
The symbol of the "Rising Sun" is significant as it directly links with the history of the Dravidian people and their political movement, which was carried forward by Periyar and his political initiatives. The aim of the Kazhagam, according to the party documents, is to strive and forge a Dravidian cultural co-operation among the four states of Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Kerala and Karnataka. This co-operation is essentially to be on the lines of linguistic similarities, such as to fight the dominance of Hindi-speaking belt. In other words, the DMK's election symbol is prominent as it portrays a "rising" spirit of the Dravidian people, so as to bring to themselves, the lights of life, like the rays of the sun. The DMK aims to work within the ambit of the Indian Constitutional ideals of sovereignty, unity and integrity, along with the principles of democracy, socialism and secularism. In other words, the "Rising Sun" symbol is apt to describe the political ideals and aims of the DMK.
National Executives of DMKThe leaders of the DMK, who are also the national executives of the party, are listed below:
- Muthuvel Karunanidhi, President of DMK
Popularly called "Kalaignar" or the "artist" by members of the DMK, Karunanidhi has led the party since the death of its founder Annadurai. He holds a significant record in the last 60 years, of winning each election, from any constituency in Tamil Nadu. In fact it is because of Karunanidhi, that the DMK holds the distinction of being the first party, besides the Congress, to win state-level elections with thumping majority.
- K. Anbazhagan, General Secretary of DMK
Anbazhagan has remained an MLA for nine times during the various DMK governments in Tamil Nadu.
- T.R. Baalu, Leader in Lok Sabha
Baalu is the leader of the DMK in the lower house of Parliament. He is a veteran leader and has been elected to the Lok Sabha four times in a row. He represents the Sriperumbudur constituency.
- A.K. Jinnah, Member of Parliament, Rajya Sabha
Jinnah represents Tamil Nadu as a member of the DMK in the Rajya Sabha.
- K.P. Ramalingam, Member of Parliament, Rajya Sabha
He represents Tamil Nadu as a member of the DMK in the Rajya Sabha.
- Kanimozhi, Member of Parliament, Rajya Sabha
She is the daughter of president Karunanidhi and is the chief of the DMK's wing for Art, Literature and Rationalism.
- Vasanthi Stanley, Member of Parliament, Rajya Sabha
She is a journalist and represents Tamil Nadu as a member of the DMK in the Rajya Sabha.
- S. Jagathrakshakan (Arakkonam constituency)
- T.M. Dayanidhi (Chennai Central constituency)
- T.K.S. Elangovan (Chennai North constituency)
- R. Thamaraiselvan (Dharmapuri constituency)
- Adhi Shankar (Kallakurichi constituency)
- S.S. Palanimanickam (Thanjavur constituency)
- T.D. Venugopal (Tiruvannamalai constituency)
Achievements of DMKAs a regional political party, and by forming governments in Tamil Nadu, the DMK has had some significant achievements. Some of these are listed below:
- The DMK has initiated all-round development in the villages of Tamil Nadu, by implementing the famous 'Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme', which ensures employment to the youth in villages of Tamil Nadu.
- Impetus has been given to industrial growth in the state, by improving the condition of roads, building four-lane and six-lane roads and constructing bridges across the state.
- Various projects, linking up rivers within the state have been implemented. Examples of such projects are Cauvery-Gundaru Linking Project taken up at a cost of Rs.189 crores; Tamirabarani-Karumeniyaru-Nambiyaru Linking Project taken up at a cost of Rs.369 crores.
- A historic food security scheme has been launched in the state, wherein lakhs of beneficiaries have been given rice at rupees one per kilogram of rice. Also, distribution of palm oil, red gram, black gram, suji, maida and fortified wheat flour under Special Public Distribution system at subsidized rates have been initiated. Again, 5 Eggs or Bananas per week as part of Nutritious Noon Meal, has been started by the DMK.
- Zero interest on agricultural loans has been implemented, to help farmers carry on their agricultural activities more comfortably.
- More than one crore of people have been given free house sites in the state, for construction of a proper shelter with government aid.
- In protest against Hindi being made the official language, the DMK has successfully introduced Tamil as a compulsory language till 10th standard, in all schools in the state of Tamil Nadu.
Contact DetailsOfficial Website of DMK: http://www.dmk.in/
Head-Office Address of DMK: 'Anna Arivalayam', 367-369, Annasalai, Teynampet, Chennai - 600 018
Email id: email@example.com
DMK Lok Sabha and Vidhan Sabha Election Results Year Wise
|Lok Sabha||Vidhan Sabha|
|State||Latest Year||Seats Won||Latest Year||Seats Won|
Last Updated on March 10, 2015