Vijay Goel Latest News And Updates
Kiran Bedi, BJP's chief ministerial candidate in Delhi, on Wednesday filed her nomination papers from the Krishna Nagar constituency for the Feb..... Read More
The BJP on Thursday filed a complaint with the Election Commission against AAP leader Arvind Kejriwal over his allegations against its Delhi unit pr..... Read More
The BJP's Delhi unit on Tuesday set up an 18-member core group for the assembly polls in the capital and many other committees to tackle the mai..... Read More
About Vijay GoelVijay Goel, an eminent Indian politician, is a member of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP). He is a former Delhi University Student’s Union (DUSU) president. In February 2013, he became the President of the Bharatiya Janata Party in Delhi. He was elected thrice as Member of Parliament for the 11th, 12th, and 13th Lok Sabha, when he represented Chandni Chowk and Sadar constituencies of Delhi. During the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) government, until 2004 he held positions such as the Union Minister of State of Labour, Parliamentary Affairs, Youth Affairs & Sports, and Statistics & Programme Implementation. His successful effort in banning lottery under
Personal background of Vijay GoelVijay Goel belongs to a family of freedom fighters from Sonepat, Haryana. He was born to Chatri Lal Goel and Basanti Devi on January 4, 1954. His father Chatri Lal Goel, a taxation lawyer, was a renowned personality. Chatri Lal Goel was a member of the Bharatiya Janata Party and served as Speaker of Delhi Vidhan Sabha. He was also the Deputy Mayor.
|You may also like to read|
|Know about Sushilkumar Shinde|
|Know Political Journey of Sushma Swaraj|
|Know about Elections in India|
Goel has keen interest in music and art. He himself is a singer of ghazals and folk songs, besides playing the table. As an enthusiast in photography, he held two photo exhibitions on subjects related to rural life and nature. He also wrote a book on Chandni Chowk, called The Empire City.
How did Vijay Goel enter politics?Vijay Goel’s entry into politics happened in a gradual manner. His father was a member of the Bharatiya Janata Party, and later became a Speaker of Delhi Vidhan Sabha and Deputy Mayor. Vijay Goel was a member of the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) from a very early age. He joined NSS, NCC and Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad in 1972. In 1972-1973, he became the Joint Secretary of Students' Union at Shriram College of Commerce. In 1974-75 he was the Supreme Councilor of Delhi University Students Union, better known as DUSU, and also Treasurer of Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Prarishad (ABVP). He went to jail along with his father for three months during Emergency in India. During 1977-1978, after he got released from jail, he became the President of Delhi University Student’s Union under the candidature of Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Prarishad (ABVP). As a President of DUSU, he took up various students-related issues such as exposing rackets on fake SC/ST certificates, fake mark sheets, counseling students seeking admission in Delhi University, and banning ragging in colleges. In 1977 he joined BJP.
Activities and achievements of Vijay Goel
- In 1980-82 he was the General Secretary of Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha in Delhi.
- In 1982-84 he was the President of Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha in Delhi.
- In 1982-84 he became the Secretary of Bhartiya Janata Party in Delhi.
- In 1986-88 he was the all India Secretary of Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha.
- In 1991-93 he became the General Secretary of BJP District in Delhi Sadar.
- In 1996 he was elected as a Member of Parliament for the 11th Lok Sabha.
- In 1998 he was re-elected as a Member of Parliament for the 12th Lok Sabha.
- In 1999 he was re-elected as a Member of Parliament for the third consecutive time, for the 13th Lok Sabha.
- In 2001 he became Minister of State at Prime Minister’s Office and Planning Commission.
- In 2001-02 he became Minister of State at Prime Minister’s Office.
- In 2002-03 he was Minister of State at Prime Minister’s Office and Ministry of Statistics & Programme Implementation.
- In January 2003 he was a Minister of State at Ministry of Parliamentary Affairs and Ministry of Labour.
- In May 2003 he was Minister of State at Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports.
- In 2004 he was the General Secretary of the Bhartiya Janata Party.
- In 2007 he was the All India General Secretary of the Bhartiya Janata Party.
- In 2013 he became the President, Delhi Pradesh, of the Bhartiya Janata Party.
- Standing Committe, Ministry of Home Affairs
- Consultative Committee on Urban Affairs
- Public Accounts Committee
- Governing Body, AIIMS
- Municipal Corporation of Delhi
- Joint Parliamentary Committee
- Advisory Committee - DDA
- Chairman, Satyawati Co-Ed. College, Delhi University
- Member of Governing Body, SRCC
- Member of University Court
- Member of Governing Body, Laxmibai College
- Member of Anjuman (Court), Jamia Millia Islamia
- Member of University Court, Finance Committee, Delhi University
- Member of Governing Body, Moti Lal Nehru College
Involvement in Social and Cultural Sector
- Trustee of Maharaja Agrasen Hospital located at Pitampura, Delhi.
- President of Lok Abhiyan.
- Convener of Lottery Virodhi Aandolan.
- Vice President of Vaish Aggarwal Educational Society.
- Convener of Citizen Forum for Commonwealth Games.
- Convener of Bijli-Paani Andolan.
- Founder of Heritage India Foundation.
- Founder of Senior Citizen Federation.
Activities and achievements of Vijay Goel
- Installed statue of Swami Vivekananda as President of Swami Vivekanand Smarak Samiti.
- Led a movement for Prohibition of Smoking in Public Places.
- Campaigned for creating awareness against the spread of AIDS among the youth of India.
- Instrumental in bringing Commonwealth Games to India during his tenure as Sports Minister under the NDA Govt.
- Fought for Regularization of Unauthorized Colonies
- Fought and took stand for the rights of Senior Citizens.
- Involved in Bijli-Paani Andolan to fight against lack of facilities in villages across Delhi.
- Beautified Red Fort with green lawns.
- Renovated MCD schools that fall under School Sudhar Yojana.
- Introduced computers in Hindi and Urdu schools.
- Improved slum areas and introduced mobile medical vans for the first time for the poor.
- Provided fund for renovating Haj Manjil and building Marghat Wale Hanuman Mandir.
- Restored renowned Urdu poet Ghalib’s haveli.
- Established Toy Bank, a nonprofit organisation that collects toys from affluent schools and families and distributes them among underprivileged children.
Awards Won by Vijay GoelGlobal Excellence award and Sur-Sadhna Award for his contribution to the field of heritage, culture and development. Honorary Doctorate from Gurukul Kangri University of Haridwar
Last Updated on 1 May, 2017.