About S. Jaipal ReddyS. Jaipal Reddy, full name Sudini Jaipal Reddy is a present member of the Lok Sabha and an Indian National Congress party member. He is an elected representative of the Andhra Pradesh constituency of Chelvella and credited for holding several key positions in the Central Government. He got the portfolio of the Minister of Science and Technology following the re-election of Indian National Congress in the centre with an alliance of UPA-II.
Between 1969 and 1984 he was a member of the Legislative Assembly representing Kalwakurthy Constituency from Andhra Pradesh for four terms till he acquired his position as a Member of the Parliament. He also worked as a Chairman of Committee of Privileges from the years 1999-2000 and was a member of the Joint Committee on Patents (Second Amendment), Bill, 1999 and member of the Consultative Committee in the Ministry of Power and held several other important positions.
Jaipal Reddy’s Early LifeAn agriculturist by hobby and erstwhile profession Reddy is physically disabled and needs the support of crutches to walk. He never allowed his disability to come in the way of his success He was born in Nermatta which is a small village in the Nalgonda district of Andhra Pradesh and grew up in Madgul, Mahbubnagar. He was born on 16 January 1942 to Late Shri. Durga Reddy and Smt. Yashodamma. He has three children, two sons and one daughter.
Jaipal Reddy is a very learned man and an avid reader. He completed his Master of Arts in English from the Osmania University in Hyderabad and also holds a Bachelor degree in Journalism from the same university. Politics interested him even when he was a college student and his political journey was therefore quite natural for him.
Jaipal Reddy’s earlier political careerAs a student in the Osmania University of Hyderabad, Jaipal Reddy was a member of the political student organization and on two separate occasions was elected as the student leader through the university elections. He remained member of the Youth Congress between the years 1965 to1971 and during this tenure met several important Congress Party leaders. He went on to become the General Secretary for the Andhra Pradesh Congress and served in this role for almost four years. He also contested the Andhra Pradesh Legislative Assembly elections to win the assembly seat for four consecutive terms from 1969 to the year 1984. In 1979 he became a member of the National Executive Janata Party and finally entered in the mainstream politics in the year 1984 when he was elected to the Lok Sabha.
Jaipal Reddy’s political GrowthS Jaipal Reddy’s election into the Lok Sabha was the ultimate growth of his political career. He became a member of the Rajya Sabha on two separate occasions. He was the Union Cabinet Minister for Information and Broadcasting and later became the Union Cabinet Minister for Information and Broadcasting and Culture. Presently he is the Union Cabinet Minister for Urban Development and enjoys immense respect for being the mastermind of the Delhi Master Plan which won him several accolades.
His full career graph as a politician is as follows:
|You may also like to read|
|Know about Pranab Mukherjee|
|Know Political Journey of Pu Lalthanhawla|
|Know about Elections in India|
- He was President of the Andhra Pradesh Youth Congress from 1965-71
- Became General Secretary post in the Andhra Pradesh Congress Committee in 1969 and remained in the post till 1972
- Member of Andhra Pradesh Legislative Assembly for four terms between 1969-84
- Elected to Lok Sabha in 1984
- Remained member of the Rajya Sabha from 1990 to 1996 and then from the years 1997 to 1998
- Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha from 1991to 1992
- Remain Union Cabinet Minister, Information and Broadcasting (1997-98)
- Re-elected to Lok Sabha (1998)
- Member of Committee on Finance (1998-99)
- Member of Consultative Committee, Ministry of Finance
- Re-elected to Lok Sabha (3rd term) (1999)
- Member of Committee on Finance
- Member of Joint Committee on Patents (Second Amendment) Bill in 1999
- Member of Consultative Committee, Ministry of Power (2000-04)
- Re-elected to Lok Sabha (4th term) (2004)
- Union Cabinet Minister, Information and Broadcasting and Culture (2004-05)
- Union Cabinet Minister, Urban Development (2005)
- Vice President, Parliamentary Forum on Water Conservation & Management
Achievements of S. Jaipal Reddy as a politician
- Introduced the Prasar Bharati bill in parliament and was the driving force behind its implementation. The bill provided for the autonomous functioning for Doordarshan and All India Radio.
- Played a crucial role in the expansion of FM Radio channels in the country.
- Formulated and introduced the concept of Live Telecast of proceedings of Lok Sabha & Rajya Sabha. This was a very major step as it allowed people to observe all the activities of their elected representatives in their respective Houses.
- Obtained classical language status for “Telugu”.
- He was the driving force behind the implementation of the Delhi Master Plan which led to the creation of the highly popular Delhi Metro service which now connects five cities of the National Capital Region.
- Projects similar to the Delhi Master Plan were sanctioned for other Metro cities under his guidance and watchful eye.
- He was responsible for building Infrastructure for the Commonwealth Games that were held in New Delhi in 2010. The entire project was completed successfully before the events started.
S. Jaipal Reddy Elections result
Awards and AccoladesS Jaipal Reddy is famous for his fluent and powerful speeches and has been a spokesperson for several political parties that he has been a part of. He has been conferred with several awards for his outstanding works. He was the youngest parliamentarian and the first member of the Lok Sabha from South India to be awarded with the Outstanding Parliamentarian Award in 1998.
Financial Assets of S Jaipal ReddyAccording to the signed affidavit to the Election Commission (EC), S Jaipal Reddy has a worth total Rs. 60 lakhs. He has also admitted to having a liability of approximately Rs. 54 lakhs which he accured as housing loan for house construction. . The movable assets that he owns are in the form of cash in his bank accounts and the jewellery that his wife Smt. Yashodamma owns. The asset and liability report submitted by S. Jaipal is considered to be one of the lowest among all the Rajya Sabha members and has been verified by the EC for authenticity.
Last Updated on 28 April, 2017.