About Nupur SharmaNupur Sharma is an Indian politician belonging to the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
Personal Background of Nupur SharmaNupur Sharma was born on 23 April, 1985. She completed her school education from Delhi Public School (DPS), Mathura Road, New Delhi in 2003. She did B.A. Economics (Hons.) from Hindu College of University of Delhi. She attained a Law degree (LL. B.) from Faculty of Law, Delhi University in 2010. She went on to do LLM from the London School of Economics. She comes from a family of diplomats and businessmen.
Political Career of Nupur SharmaNupur Sharma has been active in politics since her college days, during which time she was elected as the President of the Delhi University Student's Union (DUSU) on the ticket of Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP). She was also a Youth Ambassador of Teach for India (affiliated with Teach for America). Nupur has held various significant posts in the BJP such as Member of National Executive Committee of BJP's youth wing BJYM, National Media Co-In Charge of the BJYM, Member “Yuva” Working Committee of BJP and Member of the State Executive Committee, BJP Delhi. She has been a BJP spokesperson and participated in various debates in the media to represent her party's views.
Nupur Sharma in Delhi Assembly Elections 2015Nupur Sharma was pitted against political stalwarts like AAP chief and former chief minister of Delhi Arvind Kejriwal and veteran Congress leader Kiran Walia to contest the 2015 assembly elections from the prestigious New Delhi assembly constituency. She emerged the runner up in the constituency but the difference between the number of votes won by her and the eventual winner Arvind Kejriwal was huge. Nupur won a total of 25,630 votes, while Kejriwal grabbed a whopping 57,213 votes to win the seat with a margin of 31,583 votes.
Works and Activities Done by Nupur Sharma
- Acted as Guest Editor for the national daily 'The Times of India' for its Republic Day Special edition in January 2009.
- Member of delegation from India and BJP for the 2012 Indo-Pak American Council of Young Political Leaders (A.C.Y.P.L.) summit in the United Sates in July 2012.
- Represented India and the B.J.Y.M. (BJP) at the Konrad Adenauer School for Young Politicians (KASYP) – 4, Batch of 2013.
- Campaigned under DU@Doorstep to provide career oriented counseling to school students on Delhi University courses and admissions and Vote@DU to inform students (especially outstation candidates) about voter registration and exercise of voting rights.
- Engaged herself in welfare projects like installation of water-purifiers, solar-lamps and CCTVs for campus security and successfully completed them during her term.
- Started and managed the National Campaign for Combating Terrorism (NCCT) under the endorsement of former President of India Dr APJ Abdul Kalam.
- Researched on Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) on casual justice system in rural parts of north India with a background research on endemic law and religious arbitration focusing on the parallel adjudicatory system of Khap Panchayats and the political/electoral importance of Khaps.
Last Updated on 29 April, 2017.