Please contact : Kumar Utkarsh
When many big stars in the film world are going to jump on the Elections ground for the first time. Kamal Haasan, a prominent filmmaker, and Makkal Nidhi Miyam (MNM) party chief have announced today that he will fight the next general election alone, ruling out the possibility of an alliance with Congress.
This announcement of Kamal Haasan is considered a big U-turn in the political circles because he had been trying for a coalition with the Congress sometime back. Yet this Wednesday in an interview, he made it clear that he won’t be collating with any party in his Political debut and his party will contest in all the 40 constituencies of the state and Puducherry territory.
“It’s a possibility. But we should also consider why we should go for that possibility. If at all our strength can be multiplied, if there is a sure chance of success, then there should be a right alliance. At the same time, I cannot carry the burden of others. There shouldn’t be any stain on us because of the alliance”, said Kamal when asked if he is going to contest alone.
The 62-year-old, Kamal Haasan had announced that the MNM will contest the general elections last year in December. Speaking to reporters, Haasan had said, ”I will definitely contest in the upcoming Lok Sabha elections. A committee would soon start choosing candidates.”
Kamal Haasan had launched his political party Makkal Needhi Maiam (MNM) which translates to “People’s Justice Centre” at a public meeting in Madurai earlier in February this year. He had also unveiled the party flag.
Earlier in December last year, Kamal Haasan announced to contest the Lok Sabha election. He said, ‘I will definitely contest the upcoming Lok Sabha election.’ However, he had postponed the question of aligning with any party. Hassan is visiting all the districts of Tamilnadu to strengthen his new party, MNM.